Whether you are making a plan for your life, your career or business you need to make a plan of action and milestones in order to stay on tract and reach your goal. Unfortunately, making a plan of action and milestones are not done by everyone and in business this can be detrimental to a project. The key purpose for making an action plan is to identify how a project will be completed and who the tasks will be assigned to. On the other hand, the purpose of setting milestones is to monitor your progress and ensure you stay on track. These two essential eliminates will help you work through issues and properly identify best practices.
To better understand how to create a plan of action and milestons here are 10 tips to use for your next project:
Creating a Plan of Action
1. Understand the project. It is always important for you to perform due diligence in an effort to understand the project. You should know if your competitors have a similar project in place, what their objectives are and how your project can be the best. Competitive analysis helps with understanding strengths and improving weaknesses.
2. Define your mission and vision. A project without a mission or a vision, is a waste of time. To effectively complete a project, you must clearly define the mission and vision of the project so you can visualize the completed project and create the project according to the mission.
3. Know who you are. Before you embark upon any endeavor you should conduct a SWOT Analysis to determine your strengths, weaknesses as well as the opportunities and threats of the project. You also have to know what you are and are not capable of doing. Knowing who you are allyou to delegate tasks that you may not be able to complete… just ask yourself who, what, when, where and how.
4. Commit to the project. If you are not fully engaged or committed to the project, then you will not be successful. Your lack of committment will determine if your project is a success or failure; therefore, you either commit or quit!
5. Create the plan of action. Your plan of action helps identify what you can do and what others can do for you all while keeping the project on track. Your plan of action should always be realistic.
6. Set your milestones. Now that your action plan has been completed you need to ensure you create realistic and obtainable milestones to help you chart your progress. Milestones should be viewed as markers during your project completion phase.
7. Measure your milestones. Measuring your progress allows you to determine where you are from where you need to be and gives you an opportunity to add to the project or take away from it so that you stay on track.
8. Perform analyses. It is best to perform an analysis once you have completed a milestone. Analysis are performed to help you learn if you have been successful or not. When you analyze your progress, remember to establish best practices and track your progress and make the necessary improvements.
9. Make the necessary controls. Controlling your project allows you to minimize errors and maximize results. The control phase is key to understanding where you are in the project cycle and helps you reach new milestones.
10. Evaluate and recognize achievements. Evaluating your project at each milestone and recognizing achievements establishes confidence and efficiency. Evaluating and recognizing helps with forward progress and maintains the project’s deadlines.
Regardless of project experience it is always important for you to create a plan of action and milestones because even the best laid plans can crumble. Remember these 10 tips to help you create a plan of action and set milestones for a successful project every time.
***Both photos were retrieved from www.Freedigitalphotos.net.