The most popular New Year’s resolution amongst people is to lose weight. Why not include your dog and the both of you can get fit together? A lot of people don’t know the proper weight their dog should be and struggle with the proper diet. Definitely discuss with your vet as each breed varies. There are some guidelines to follow for the appropriate weight for Weimaraners. However, the basic diet and exercise tips should be helpful to all dog owners.
Guidelines for the proper Weim weight:
- Since Weimaraners have short hair, it is easy to see their ribs. However, you do not want to visibly see each rib.
- You want to be able to feel their ribs when you run your hands over their sides.
- If you cannot feel ribs at all, then your Weim is overweight.
- All Weims should have a waist.
- The Weim belly should not be hanging down but tucked just under the waist.
Rejecting those puppy dog eyes when they beg for food is a difficult one. However, carrying excess weight can be very harmful. Overweight dogs can be more prone to hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, and heart issues. Make sure to stick to the recommended dog food quantity on each package and consult your vet. People food is not recommended.
Harmful foods to give to dogs:
- Corn – turns to sugar
- Wheat – an allergen
- Soy and Dairy– causes gas
- Anything with seeds – hard to digest and can cause an obstruction
- Chocolate/caffeine –toxic
- Onions, tomatoes, grapes , raisins and walnuts –toxic
- Anything with a bone – can splinter and tear internal organs.
- Cat food- too high in fat and protein
- Salt – can cause dogs to drink too much water and cause bloat.
- Nutmeg – causes tremors
Being active with your dog will be a healthy step for the both of you. Weimaraners have a lot of energy and require at least 3 hours a week of cardio exercise.
Activities you can do with your dog:
- Dog walks are not going to be enough. However, long hikes would be beneficial.
- Run with your dog and even race them. They love trying to win.
- Swimming is a great activity that dogs often enjoy.
- Playing fetch can give you a healthy interaction.
- Playing games like hide and seek, tug of war, etc.
This New Year can be a healthy beginning to make sure that a good diet and enough exercise is a way of life. Don’t be afraid to ask your vet questions to get educated. Resist all urges to feed your dog the same foods you eat. Make daily exercise a priority as there are fun ways to achieve this. Together, both of you will be much happier and healthier!