Lt. Joe Dempsey of the Altadena Sheriff’s Station detective bureau sent an update yesterday on reported crime in Altadena since Jan. 1, 2011. He stated that while crime in general is down over the past eight months, there are still problems with residential burglaries, vehicle burglaries and thefts from vehicles (items taken from unlocked cars).
“We ask that residents remain vigilant,” Dempsey urges. “Secure your homes and cars. Do not leave valuables in your cars. Report any suspicious behavior in your neighborhoods.”
There were 12 reports of residential burglaries and 27 reports of larcenies (vehicle burglary, grand theft and petty theft) in January. Dempsey says that these numbers are very similar to what were experienced in the months of November and December.
Below are some examples of the crime rate in Altadena:
- Reported Burglaries are down 18.4% since this time last year and down 33.8% since 2006.
- Reported Violent crime is down 25.1 % since this time last year and down 35.6% since 2006.
- Reported Property crime is down 44.9% since this time last year and down 25.6% since 2006.
“We ask that our residents partner to prevent or report crime by contacting the Altadena Sheriff’s Station at (626) 798-1131. Or if you wish to remain anonymous, call LA Crime Stoppers by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477), texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org,” Dempsey says.
Download the Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers pamphlet
Last week’s crime blotter is not extensive, but once again includes thefts from unlocked vehicles and buildings. GPS devices continue to be a top target. Here is the list of crimes in Altadena reported by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department for Feb. 2-4, 2011:
Wednesday, Feb. 2
- Residential burglary, 1600 block N. Harding Ave. between 8:10 a.m. and 5:35 p.m. Suspect(s) entered residence through the kitchen door. Loss: grey Dell laptop, grey Dynex 22” television, gold emerald ring.
Thursday, Feb. 3
- Petty theft form an unlocked vehicle, 3200 block N. Lake Ave. between midnight and 8 a.m. Loss: black Samsonite leather briefcase, black vinyl briefcase with blue trim, Blackberry mobile phone charger, women’s earrings.
- Burglary from a classroom at Jackson Elementary School between 5:30 p.m. Thursday and 6:30 a.m. Friday. Suspect(s) entered by opening the east side window. Loss: red Samsonite duffle bag and white single electric burner.
- Petty theft form an unlocked vehicle, 3000 block Santa Rosa Ave. between 5 p.m. Thursday and 5 a.m. Friday. Loss: silver Garmin GPS.
Friday, Feb. 4
- Burglary from an unlocked garage, 800 block W. Ventura St.. Loss: red/white Red Max leaf blower and red Honda HRC16 lawn mower.
Like this story?
Subscribe to Altadena Headlines Examiner by clicking the “Subscribe” link at the top. Read more articles about the Pasadena area at Tournament of Roses Examiner and San Gabriel Foothills Examiner