‘Best in Film’ special celebrates ‘Godfather,’ ‘Oz,’ ‘Gone with the Wind,’ ‘Eve’ — In their special scheduled to air Tuesday evening, ABC News and People Magazine celebrate what they call Best in Film: The Greatest Movies of Our Time. The special will reveal the winners, in 10 different categories, of fans’ choices for the best in cinema, including an overall category, “Best Film.” Of that overall category alone, over half of the nominated movies are adapted from books or short stories.
UPDATE: Results in all categories posted here.
Tom Bergeron of ABC’s Dancing with the Stars and Cynthia McFadden of ABC News will co-host the special. The 15 film categories are:
- Best Film
- Best Sci-Fi
- Best Musical
- Best Action Film
- Greatest Character
- Best Horror Film
- Best Chick Flick
- Greatest Kiss
- Best Comedy
- Best Animated Film
- Best Suspense/Thriller
- Most Romantic Screen Couple
- Greatest Line
- Best Western Film
- Best Political/Historical Film
The 10 nominees (chosen by film experts before online voting) for Best Film include these six adapted from books or short stories:
- All About Eve (1950) — adapted from the short story, “The Wisdom of Eve” by Mary Orr.
- The Godfather (1972) — adapted from the novel by Mario Puzo.
- Gone With the Wind (1939) — adapted from the novel by Margaret Mitchell.
- Raging Bull (1980) — adapted from the memoir, Raging Bull: My Story by Jake LaMotta.
- Godfather II (1974) — sequel/prequel adapted from the novel by Mario Puzo.
- Wizard of Oz (1939) — adapted by the novel by L. Frank Baum.
The remaining four nominees have original screenplays:
- Citizen Kane (1941)
- Casablanca (1942)
- E. T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The special will feature film clips as well as new interviews with actors such as Harrison Ford and Anthony Hopkins and others such as Judy Garland’s daughter.
Which film will win “Best in Film” in the special? Tune in to ABC to find out.
VIDEO: See a preview of the special in the lefthand column of this page, or you can also watch it here. In the preview, Judy Garland’s daughter talks about her mother’s experience filming The Wizard of Oz.
See more stories in the “Suggested” links below!