The Children’s Museum of Richmond (CMoR) offers Richmonders and visitors a second location in West Broad Village next to WholeFoods Market in Short Pump.
CMoR offers Art Workshops that are designed to help children of various ages and abilities with a participating parent explore different art techniques such as painting, sculpture and printmaking. In each lesson, children learn about the work of a famous artist, and create their own work in that style. Children are able to take home their art work, or post for display in the museum. Featured exhibits include Jackson Pollack, Katsushika Hokusai, Mark Rothko.
CMoR offers Stay and Learn sessions that include a 3-hour drop-off class for CMoR members. The sessions are for children ages 30 months to 6 years old. Children enjoy a hands-on curriculum in a relaxed classroom setting with highly trained staff, and a supervised play in the exhibits on the museum floor. The cost is $25 per child, and $20 for each additional child. To register, call (804) 971-4552.
CMoR offers Music & Movement classes that are designed for children and a parent to work on motor skills, peer interactions and the ability to follow directions while having fun! Children will get to play with fun instruments, parachutes, learn new songs, and more!
CMoR offers Paint Me a Story classes that give children along with a special grown-up the opportunity to participate in this wonderful class that makes their favorite stories come alive. Each week, children will experience different interactive stories, hands-on activities and messy art projects.
CMoR offers Once Upon a Toddler Time which provides an opportunity for toddlers and a special grown-up to work on developing language, cognitive and social skills with fun activities based on art, music, games and other sensory activities.
CMoR offers Sign & Stretch classes that allow mommies and babies to learn how to communicate with each other through infant sign language as well as learning stretches and other relaxation techniques for both mommy and baby.
CMoR Short Pump offers a variety of exhibits for inquisitive and imaginative children.
- The Art Studio is a 1,000 square foot space that offers themed tables for painting, drawing and creating.
- The Enchanted Castle is a place for children to enjoy the royal life in large open arches that are connected by turreted towers that allow easy access to activities and sightlines for parents and caregivers. Inside the castle, little kings and queens can rest on their very own thrones or gaze in the “everyone is fairest” mirror. Children can also create their own version of a stained glass window using a special light window, or cook up a feast fit for royalty in the kitchen. Just outside the castle is a tea garden where they can enjoy pretend tea on a toadstool table and chairs.
- Mother Goose Corner is especially designed for children ages 2 and under and offers great exploration opportunities. Infants and crawlers can roll and move on soft sculpted cushions that encourage gross motor skill development. Babies and creepers can pull up on their very own pull-up bar and gaze at themselves in the mirror. A sensory nursery rhyme wall helps babies and crawlers to learn to count and recognize sounds and words.
- The Magic Beanstalk Climber allows children to work their way up the beanstalk in a special cylinder climber to see if they can spot the goose that laid a golden egg. Children can slide down the slides to visit the magic bean planting garden and visit the famers’ market with bins and shopping opportunities. Children can meet the cow that will sweetly “moo” when fed.
- The Merry Berry Bush allows children to pick their very own berries from a strawberry bush! When the basket is full, children dump the berries back into the gravity-fed berry distributor system to send the berries back to their places and begin all over again. (Warning: Watch arms and fingers!)
- Wild Safari Train offers children a ride through the jungle with lions, giraffes and zebras. This “wild” animal safari-themed train travels the tracks with sights and sounds like a real train. The elephant engine leads the way with many animal friends that sit on the train with the children and adults! The train ride is sponsored by Markel Eagle Partners, LLC. Pirates Cove allows children to set sail for adventure, steer captain’s wheel, or spy pirates through spyglasses as first mate. Children can learn to tie knots or weave on the ship’s knot-tying ropes. Just off the port side, “Treasure Island” awaits all explorers! A treasure map is posted at a dig pit with images that lead children on a hunt for clues and buried treasure.
- Whale of a Tale Water Exhibit features two water play tables: one that will spray like a whale, and another for racing all sorts of sea creatures. High-tech hand dryers by Dyson will dry little hands quickly when ready to move to the next adventure.
- Star Stage offers a space for visiting stars to dress up, use puppets, put on plays, dance a jig, or deliver a grand performance. Costumes, props and music will help with getting the show started.
CmoR at Short Pump is a great museum with exhibits tailored toward children ages 6 and under. Children and parents alike will find that the museum offers hours of imaginative play and cognitive stimulation.
For more information, email email@example.com, visit the museum’s website or call (804) 474-7000.