Syracuse dog lovers who want to stay warm indoors this weekend can explore the Dachshund Club Of Greater Syracuse (DCGS) All-breed fun match with obedience and rally Show ‘N Go on Saturday, Jan. 22, from 9:30 until mid-afternoon. The fun match at SOTC Training Center, 6392 Deere Rd., Syracuse, NY is open to all breeds in conformation. The obedience and rally Show ‘N Go classes are also open to mixed breeds.
Fun matches and show ‘n go events offer dog fanciers a chance to practice with their dogs in new locations or under conditions that approximate a show or trial. This match is the first DCGS match of 2011. Today’s match classes include:
- Puppy Variety divided into classes for puppies who are 3-6 months, 6-9 months and 9-12 months
- Junior Handling divided by age or experience of the child into classes for Sub Junior (under 8), Novice Junior, Novice Intermediate, Novice Senior, Open Junior, Open Intermediate and Open Senior
- Conformation divided into classes by breed and group for puppies and adult dogs who are 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months, 12-18 months and Open
- Obedience Show ‘N Go: Beginner, Novice, Open, Utility
- Rally Show ‘N Go: Novice course only, all levels may run
Obedience, Rally, Junior Handling and Puppy Variety entries close at 9 a.m., and judging starts at 9:30 a.m. Regular conformation class entries will be accepted until noon, and judging starts at 12:30 p.m. Dogs with majors may be shown but may only be entered for exhibition, not competition (FEO).
Neil Jordan will judge dogs and puppies from the Sporting, Working and Hound groups. The Hound judging will be last so match workers can show their dogs. Jordan will also judge 6-9 Puppy Variety, Best Puppy In Match and Best Adult In Match. Denise Reppert will judge the Herding, Terrier, Toy, and Non-sporting groups, as well as 3-6 Puppy Variety, 9-12 Puppy Variety, Best In Variety, and the Junior Showmanship classes.
In the Obedience Show ‘N Go classes, Colleen Clemett will judge Utility and Open and Lynn Fratello will judge Novice and Beginner Novice. Terry Frenia will judge the Rally Show ‘N Go.
Admission to the DCGS All-breed fun match is free to the public, and there is free parking on site. No food will be available at the event, but visitors can enjoy one of the restaurants near SOTC’s Deere Rd. location. Visit the Syracuse Obedience Training Club website for maps and directions to the SOTC Training Center.
Get Syracuse Dog Training delivered free to your inbox – click Subscribe!