Most of the United States is experiencing some extreme nasty weather this winter; all the more reason to start thinking of heading south to Florida for Daytona Bike Week 2011 for the “unofficial” beginning of the riding season. The dates for the 70th Bike Week are March 4 to March 13, 2011.
Below is a condensed version of the line-up for some need to know ahead of time information for Bike Week including locations of various campgrounds, motorcycle services, and vendors (all addresses are Daytona Beach unless otherwise noted):
- Hilton Daytona Beach – official hotel of Bike Week, located at 100 North Atlantic Avenue and on the beach – hotel also has fun events scheduled at the hotel for Bike Week
- Bike Week Welcome Center – Riverfront Park across from Daytona Harley-Davidson – the place to pick up free literature, pocket guide, posters, etc.
- Daytona Beach Chamber of Commerce – 126 East Orange Ave – host of Bike Week Treasure Hunt – passports will be available on March 1st
- Abate of Florida – 3150 E New York Ave, Deland – sponsoring campground host at the Volusia County Fairgrounds including tent and RV sites, hot showers, vendors, and 24 hour security
- Flea & Farmers Market Camping – 2987 Bellevue Ave – tent and RV sites
- Big Cabbage Campground – 575 N CR 415, New Smyrna Beach – tent and RV sites
- Nova Family Campground – 1190 Herbert St, Port Orange – primitive tent camping with 24 hour security; wet tee shirt contest on 3/9/11
- Tent & RV Camping – 312-360 Mary McLeod Bethune Blvd – only 1000 feet from Daytona Harley-Davidson
- Amsoil display – the Welcome Center in Riverfront Park and also at Daytona International Speedway
- Daytona Harley-Davidson – 290 N. Beach St – general merchandise, vendors, free bike parking, Daytona Diner, and Harley-Davidson Motor Company staged across the street
- Bruce Rossmeyer’s Destination Daytona – 1637 N. US Highway 1, Ormond Beach (I-95 exit 273) – vendors, live bands, beer garden, restaurants, hotels, and yes, a Harley dealership
- Speed Park Motorsports – 201 Fentress Blvd – Daytona’s ultimate family fun center featuring go-carts, an arcade, and more
- Carl’s Speed Shop – 348 N. Beach St – Big Dog dealer, Harley Performance Center with dyno, etc.
- Ocean Walk Shoppes – 250 North Atlantic Ave (A1A) – wide range of shops, restaurants, and bars
There are many, many events scheduled throughout the week and a follow-up Examiner article will highlight a few of those.
Last report shows many rooms still available in hotels, motels, and resorts in the Daytona Beach area with prices ranging from about $80.00 to well past $200.00 per night. There is a link on the home page of the Bike Week website to “Book Your Stay” that will allow you to plug in your stay dates and then shows you all available rooms.
So what are you waiting for? Join several hundred thousand members of the biking public and head to Daytona for the 70th edition of Bike Week.