For all you lucky Jersey City residents who get the day off to observe President’s day, there’s no better way to get in the spirit then finding your favorite flicks featuring unforgettable Presidents. With a little bit of romance, a good deal of heroic leadership, a bit of shameful leadership and a lot of aliens, here’s a list of movies you should include in your day of luxury.
The American President – President Andrew Shepard
- Add a bit of romance to your President’s Day with “The American President” as widowed President Shepard (Michael Douglas) and lobyist Sydney Wade (Anette Benning) attempt a secret love affair. But as President of the United States, it’s not always easy to keep your personal life a secret.
Independence Day – President Thomas J. Whitmore
- Admittedly, it’s very cliché, yet it’s still an “oldie-but-goodie”. If you can get past the cheesey and “over-done” factor of the movie it still promises to be the ultimate triumphant story…of…well…humans vs. aliens. But we all know how it all turns out in the end, and who didn’t get chills at one point by President Whitmore’s inspiration-inducing speech? A star-studded cast of Will Smith (Captain Steven Hiller), Bill Pullman (President Whitmore), Jeff Goldblum (David Levenson), Vivica A. Fox (Jasmine Dubrow) and Harvey Firestein (Marty Gilbert), you can’t go wrong.
Frost/Nixon – President Nixon
- Celebrate President’s Day with a film based on real events in our history, compelling interviews between British talk host Frost and former president Nixon. Don’t miss Frank Langella (President Nixon) and Michael Sheen (David Frost) in their shining performance in Frost/Nixon. If you found yourself intrigued, the original complete interviews from 1977 are available to purchase. Visit www.frostnixon.com
The Fifth Element – President Lindberg
- What to do when aliens are attacking planet Earth yet again? Well call upon our secret weapon, the fifth element, of course. Watch Bruce Willis (Korben Dallas), Gary Oldman ( Jean-Bapiste Emanual Zorg), Mila Jovovich (Leeloo) and Chris Tucker (Ruby Rhod) in this futuristic film. The Fifth Element.
Mars Attacks – President James Dale
- Any movie that features Jack Nicholson as President of the United States is worth watching. Let this completely rediculous flick lighten your day as aliens from Mars attack planet Earth, and they do NOT come in peace. Yet another story where aliens attack our planet and we always seem to outsmart them in true human-race style.
The Simpsons Movie – President Schwarzenegger
- Ok, so maybe he’s not the most model president, but you can’t blame him. He was “elected to lead, not to read”. And perhaps he doesn’t contribute to the success of Springfrield, but at least you can follow the lovable antics of Homer Simpson and his family as they save the most toxic city in America. Don’t forget to include this comedy into the mix.
24 – President David Palmer
- This always on-the-go fast paced political drama will definately get you pumped for President’s Day (if the day off already hasn’t). Follow the nearly impossible life of federal agent Jack Bauer (Keifer Sutherland), and the admirable President loved by all, President David Palmer (Dennis Haysbert) as they continually save America from terrorists trying to destroy our country. *Spoiler alert* – America prevails, which will make your President’s Day a feel-good triumpant one. Pick up season one if you want to become completely obsessed with a new series. Or watch the entire series on instant Netflix.
W. – President George W. Bush
- Another movie that follows the life of one of America’s former presidents. See another side of President Bush that might make you think of him in different light. Josh Brolin gives a stellar performance as George W. Bush.