Pamella Roland, Rodarte, Nanette Lapore, and Bebe showed them: rich, lustrous, deep, dramatic lips with an otherwise-bare face. When a look appears over and over again, it’s almost a certainty that a trend has been born. This trend, a look that included not just fall-typical burgundies and wines but also eye-popping corals, moved beyond New York’s fashion week and into London’s fashion week as well. Yes indeed, a trend is being born.
How can you partake in this seriously dramatic, retro-sexy look? Keep reading!
- Find the right color. Not every deep, dramatic lipstick looks good on every skin tone. The wrong color or shade can not only be unflattering, it can age you — not good! Experiment with different colors before buying. And when you do buy, buy from a store with a generous return policy. Not all stores will accept used makeup, particularly if you just simply disliked the color. St. Louis stores that understand the problems with makeup changing color throughout the day or being less attractive in different lighting include Sephora and The Body Shop will all accept returns within 60 days of purchase. CVS pharmacies will accept returns within 30 days of purchase. Avon will also accept used beauty products.
- Exfoliate your lips carefully. A dramatic lip requires a flawless canvas. Use a sugar scrub, a wet washcloth and some petroleum jelly, or try Jemma Kidd’s Exfoliating Lip Balm from St. Louis Target stores.
- Use a lip primer. Geurlain’s Kiss Kiss Liplift is a great choice, from Sephora in the St. Louis Galleria.
- Don’t forget the liner! Either look for one that matches your natural lip tone or that matches your lipstick exactly. A lipliner that is too dark or the wrong shade will stand out and not in a good way!
- Apply lipstick. Blot gently, and then reapply.
This pretty pout was most commonly seen as a matte, so don’t add any extra glosses, shimmers, or glitters to try to amp up the look. It does fine on its own! To complete the look, you’ll just need a good coverage foundation (or your own pretty skin, if you’re blessed with a flawless complexion), well-groomed brows, and a touch of brown or brown-black mascara.
If you enjoyed this article, please subscribe (it’s completely anonymous AND free!) by using the subscribe button at the top of the screen. You will receive an email every time a new article filled with beauty tips, information, and beauty product news is published.