In 2006 the American Public Health Association started a campaign to prepare families for unexpected hazards and disasters. Part of this program also touches on topics such as infectious diseases, natural disasters and the pandemic flu.
Recently another program has gone underway. That is, finding a fun way to reach children on the importance of washing their hands. And it looks like they found the ideal gadget.
The APHA has gotten together and formed a campaign using a website called Get Ready for Flu. Here you can learn that washing your hands is the easiest way to prevent infectious diseases and the spreading of germs.
Children have their own methods when sent into the bathroom to wash their hands. As parents we have seen and heard it all. Once may walk into the room and wipe their dirty hands on the clean towels. Another may run them over cold water and dry them on the towel or the pants they are wearing. And then you might get lucky, one child might actually use soap.
Besides that the length of time to get those little fingers cleaned properly is also an issue. Kids just want to get in and out to avoid the process completely. But if it was fun, then they would be willing to stay in the room, use soap and water and wash properly.
How can this be done? That is easy to answer!
Get Ready has invented a musical timer that attaches to the top of the liquid soap dispenser. It was developed to teach and aid a child to wash their hands for the proper length of time. Once you pump, the music begins and the child starts to wash their hands. When the music stops then the hand washing process is over and hopefully all the nooks and crannies are cleaned on, around and in-between their fingers.
How can I get one for my child? This too is easy!
Get Ready is giving away a free hand-washing timer to anyone who orders one. Like we said, it is absolutely free just for asking. There is a limit of 3 hand washing timers that each person can order. It will take 4-6 weeks for the hand-washing timers to be delivered.
This is what you have to do!
Go to the website Get Ready for Flu. Then click on the word order in green. You will be directed to the next page. Here you will see a green box at the right that says Free Timers. Click on Free Timers to once again be directed to the order form page. Fill it out just like any other registration form. Choose from 1, 2 or 3 timers. Include your name and address and whether you want to use the timers for personal use or for an event or organization. You are also invited to receive their newsletters by checking the boxes. This is optional. Then click submit. The next screen will be a confirmation that the order took and telling you to allow 4-6 weeks until they are delivered to your door.
- Washing your hand in warm water eliminates germs better than cold or hot water.
- There is no difference in the amount of bacteria removed after hand-washing if you dry them using paper towels, air dryers, or cloth towels; according the Mayo Clinic who did a study in the year 2000.
- The Food and Drug Administration has stated that the use of ordinary soap compared to antibacterial soap proved no significant difference in the prevention of bacteria levels on hands.
- The Winona Elementary School nurse Faye Welch, RN participated in a program that implemented the Hand Washing Program in Mississippi. This program was called High Five allotted $25,000 to Health Management Associates statewide which provided materials and hand washing materials through the Mississippi Nurses Foundation.
- Here’s to clean hands, a healthier lifestyle and a fun time washing with the musical hand washing timer.
To be alerted to new articles from the Winona Home & Living Examiner, click on the subscribe button above. Included are fun, crafty and educational topics to enjoy reading. And be sure to check out the Winona Cooking Examiner, her step-by-step, easy to follow recipes are sure to be a hit at your dining table. Send an email to [email protected] if you have a topic or suggestion you would like covered. Happy reading and thank you for stopping by!
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved