January 23rd is National Pie Day! Created by the American Pie Council, this special “holiday” is devoted to all things pie. Whether you prefer a rich, decadent slice of cheesecake or prefer a more “healthy” filling of delicious and tasty fruit, National Pie Day celebrates pies of all shapes, sizes and flavors.
The American Pie Council also sponsors the annual National Pie Championship where pie makers across the United States and Canada compete for the Best Pie in America award. The 2011 event takes place from April 8-10th.
Free Pie on National Pie Day
- Bakers Square Freebies – Bakers Square is offering numerous freebies and discounts on their fabulous pies during their Pie Lover’s Week from January 17 through January 23, 2011. Check out the coupons for money-saving discounts.
- Free Slice of Pie at Village Inn – On Sunday, January 23rd, participating Village Inn’s will offer free dessert with each adult entrée purchased. Coupon is required.
- Elegant Farmer’s National Pie Day Celebration – Buy two of the company’s famous 4-inch Apple Pie Baked in a Paper Bag pies and get your third one free during the Elegant Farmer’s National Pie Day Celebration on January 22 and 23, 2011, located in Mukwonago, WI.
- Free Slice at Boston’s Omni Parker House – The Omni Parker House is offering free slices of Boston Cream Pie during the entire weekend, while supplies last. For each piece of Boston cream pie that is sold during the three-day event, Omni Parker House will donate to the Charleston Boys & Girls Club.
- Foxy Baking Co. Free Pie Slices – The Foxy Baking Co. and Bang Candy Company are giving away free slices of pie from 12-3 on Sunday, January 23rd, in East Nashville. Sweet Potato Pie, Buttermilk Pie, Peanut Pie, Apple Pie, Sugar Pie, Squash Pie and Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie will be on the menu.
- Free Pie in San Antonio – The Tootie Pie Company and Stone Oak Youth Theater and Dance Company are offering free samples of pie in honor of National Pie Day! Depending on the location, stop by for your free slice on Saturday, January 22 from 5-8 PM or Sunday, January 23, from 12-3 PM.
- Huston’s 2nd National Pie Day Celebration – Gallery M and Oh my! Pocket Pies are hosting all sorts of pie fun on Sunday, January 23rd in the Heights Shopping District from 12- 3 PM. Besides music, food and drink, a pie-eating contest will also take place. And even better, a portion of the sales will go to the Houston Food Bank.
Please note – Please call ahead or visit the establishment’s website as some free offers may include various restrictions.
Delicious Pie Recipes for National Pie Day
- Deep-Dish Apple Pie Recipe – You can’t celebrate National Pie Day without apple pie! This deep-dish recipe, with a home-made crust, requires white and brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, lemon and both tart and sweet apples.
- Apple Cranberry Crisp with Pecan Topping – You’ve got a little bit of tart, a little bit of sweet and a lot of rich and gooey goodness with this fabulous recipe!
- Glazed Strawberry Cheesecake Pie – You can’t celebrate National Pie Day without cheesecake!
- Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe – Food Network’s Nigella Lawson shares her delicious, top-rated chocolate cheesecake recipe filled with oodles of chocolate and a graham cracker crumb crust.
- Paula’s NY Cheesecake – Paula Deen does it again with her fabulous New York-style cheesecake.
- Cherry Pie – This recipe calls for quick-cooking tapioca, fresh cherries and a home-made crust.
- Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Pie Recipe – You’ve got your chocolate, you’ve got your fruit – perfect!
- Chocolate Raisin Walnut Pie – This recipe, by Andrea Spring, uses a home-made crust and calls for milk chocolate chips, corn syrup, dark raisins and walnuts.
- Classic Italian Tiramisu Pie Recipe – If you are a Tiramisu fan, this recipe, from Michele Albana, is for you.
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Whoopie Pies & Marshmallow Cream – Fair warning – these little pies look simply divine!
- German Chocolate Pie – ‘Nuff said!
- Peanut Butter S’Mores Pie – You’ll need a graham cracker crust, recipe included, heavy cream, semi-sweet chocolate, granulated sugar, cream cheese and of course, peanut butter for this rich dessert.
- French in a Flash Broccoli Quiche with Gruyere and Cheddar Recipe – Pies don’t have to be just for dessert – they make a delicious meal as well.
- Deep South Sweet Potato Pie – Evette J. Rahman shows you just how to whip up this delicious dish filled with sweet potatoes, heavy cream, brown and white sugar and spices. And even better- the optional topping includes brown sugar, pecans, butter, and sugar.
And be sure to send a free electronic greeting card to all your friends and loved ones this National Pie Day! Happy National Pie Day!