I like to think of the New Year as a “reset” button. I find this to be particularly true after the madness of the holidays.
I don’t know about you but I feel as thought I lose all focus and intention in the month of December. While I love the holidays and all that they represent, I also find myself in survival mode to get through them. Buy gifts, send out cards, rsvp to parties, make small talk, book babysitters after babysitter, etc etc.
And so I approach the new year as if I am wiping the slate clean and starting fresh.
I thought I’d share how I set my goals/resolutions/intentions for the year in hopes that it can help you to also start fresh on the year.
The first thing I do is create a vision board for the year. This is a visual representation of what I want the year to be about. I will be doing a video on how to do this later this week AND am hosting a workshop on how to do this as well.
* GIVE THANKS – Here is where I take a moment to give thanks for what I already have in my life. To think about not what I need or what I want to accomplish but instead take note on all that I already have.
* WORD FOR THE YEAR – Try to think of one word that you’d like to represent the year. Examples: “Abundance. Romance. Laughter. Health. Security. Adventure. Discovery. Solitude. Calm.”
* SET SMART GOALS – When I say “smart” it is actually an acronym. Specific. Measurable. Authentic. Resonant. Thrilling. Basically if this goal doesn’t get you excited and up and talking about it, it’s not a good goal. I break my goals into five areas:
Career / Financial
* ACTION PLAN – Here is where I usually see people go awry. We take a lot of time setting lofty goals and then we lose steam and forget to create an action plan to achieve them. I find that using planners helps me to get specific on how I’m going to reach my goals. Last night I sat down before bed and I started with the annual planner and worked backward to the quarterly, monthly and then to the weekly. I find this to be extremely helpful and effective.
I hope that you found this helpful, if you have any questions feel free to email me or comment below.
Also, I have a ton of exciting events coming up in the next few months.
* Manifest + Mingle – A vision board workshop with wine, magazines & a chance to use a glue stick
o January 19th | 7pm | The Republic | $25
* Replenish Retreat – A one day retreat studying food, sleep, movement, goal setting, compassion and wellness. (You don’t want to miss this!!)
o January 29th | 10am | Costa Noa | $150
Happy New Year to All!