Does it seem as if winter is just dragging on? Are you finding it difficult to get out of the warm, flannel bedding and get the day started? During the cold, winter months it may seem just about impossible to find time, energy, and motivation to get a workout in.
Here are just a few tips that you can sneak in to your routine for a more successful road to beating the winter blues.
- It may be time for a new alarm clock. Spring is officially here in 27 days! This doesn’t always mean our morning sun will arrive with it. If you have a difficult time getting your engine going while it’s still dark out, it may be wise to invest in a “natural light” alarm clock. It gradually grows brighter as the sun naturally would. You can have a longer day, an earlier workout, and a day packed with more energy.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. The chemical ATLPL, which promotes fat storage, doubles during the winter months. Exercise increases our muscle enzymes that promote fat burning. To get the most effective fat burning, mix in high intensity exercises, not only will this rev up your metabolism but also causes your fat to be used as fuel. High Intensity Exercises pay off big rewards because you will be burning fat and have energy throughout the rest of the day.
- Always be prepared. Have a gym bag packed & ready to go. Leave it in your car or in a gym locker if you take public transportation, so you will never have an excuse. Be prepared wherever you are. Keep walking shoes and any other gear you may need at work so if you get a hunch to go for a walk, you can!
- Do not delay! Getting to the gym is half the battle. Don’t think about it…just GO! Eventually this will just become a habit. Not a gym-er? Put your workout clothes on immediately after you get home from work and go do your thing. Do not get into your pajamas-usually you will not be able to get back out.
- Stretch. You have heard it before, but this one thing can revitalize you at any given moment. Stretch after you arise, get the blood flowing. Afternoon stretch? Before you go to bed? Or, all the above throughout your day. Stretching enhances coordination, increases circulation, increases energy, reduces muscle tension, and increases range of movement in the joints. There are numerous benefits to stretching.
- Switch it up! Try something new in your workout. Or maybe working out is brand new to you. Begin with something you will enjoy doing so you will stick with it. Like to dance? Most gyms offer classes for no extra charge-try Zumba for starters. If you only hit the weights and the elliptical machine, try implementing classes. If you only do classes, switch up your routine. Have you been working out to the same playlist forever? Add new songs; create a playlist that allows you to create your own workout routine. Fast beat songs to your warm up and even faster beats to your high intensity exercises. There may be reasons your body has reached a plateau. Your body and muscles cannot change by doing the same thing over and over. To achieve different or continued results, you will have to challenge them.
Here is to trudging forward instead of hibernating; before you know it, your winter blues will be warming up to a new you!