Dating is difficult enough without having to worry about whether or not your date is gay or straight.
And although a gay guy isn’t likely to date a straight woman just for kicks and giggles, some women are still worried about dating the wrong man, and wonder that some men they are dating have gay-ish tendencies or swing both ways.
According to Examiner readers, some women stated that the obvious sign of being high maintenance used to be foolproof, whereas now it’s becoming more difficult to tell. To help these women out, below is a list of signs that just might assist them in better determining whether the guy they’re dating is gay or straight.
Your date just might be gay if:
- His idea of getting manly in the yard is to don it with pink flamingos and Mardi Gras beads. Face it, it isn’t likely he’s going to wear a hard hat or use a drill anytime soon. Embrace his skills and change roles, or reconsider.
- He has painted fingers or toenails—black may be a sign he’s Goth, but holding a pinky up when he’s drinking a cocktail is a sure sign something else is up.
- He wears white socks, shiny shoes (with no military history), and has a hanky in his pocket—sound a bit preppy? Possibly, but those prep boys, engineers, nerds and even church goers have all worn the same thing, right? (And look how hot they turned out.)
- He can’t cook you the traditional bacon and eggs for breakfast, but he sure can whip up Eggs Benedict in a blaze—you might want to taste test this one a few more dates as you know what they say about a man who can cook (especially on a stove vs. a barbecue), he’s a keeper. (Besides, what if he’s a Top Chef contender?)
- There are photos of two guys all over his place—does that really signify that he’s gay? Not necessarily, he could just have a lot of male friends or be really picky. Wouldn’t you like to be the first female in a photo with him?
- He wears pink dress shirts—He could be a true bachelor who didn’t know colors and bleach don’t mix; or, he could be into pink (and possibly the singer, P!nk). Although not a foolproof sign, ask to assist with laundry one night, bring a P!nk CD and help the poor guy out before making a rash decision.
- He’s like a walking GPS who pings every four seconds, and who’s always meeting his 411 friends off some highway or at a downtown café—where he then expects you to meet him when he’s done. He’s secretive and doesn’t check in with anyone—except his phone. This should be a red flag for anyone. No doubt it’s booty call central. Can you say adios?
- He checks out other guys—the same guys you’re checking out actually. Uh, not cool.
- He knows that the style of shoes and dress your bff is wearing was last season’s—definitely not a good sign. Men don’t know fashion; let alone what’s in or out. If he dresses better than anyone in the group, dead giveaway.
- He spends more time in the bathroom than you do, especially on his hair. Likely sign he’s either gay or extremely conceited. Unless you’re looking for a friend or roommate (and have an extra bathroom), it’s your call.
- He asks you if you’d rather go shopping than watch football. Well, I may never know the answer to this question because quite frankly I’d rather watch football than shop so this could be a trick question—but ladies, what if he really does just want to take you shopping?
Since there really are no foolproof signs, most women will just have to learn to trust their intuition. Essentially, most guys are wonderful whether gay, straight or otherwise so if you meet a great guy who happens to be gay, embrace the newfound friendship and enjoy. Don’t let the list deter you from enjoying life’s adventures, just get out there and have some fun.
As always, wishing you the best of luck in your dating ventures and for goodness sakes don’t take life too seriously, smile and be safe.
“I don’t care if you’re black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you’re nice to me, Ill be nice to you. Simple as that.” –Eminem
Interested in this and other articles by P.K.? Click on the subscribe button on this page to be notified when an article is posted.