What is your absolute favorite food? Meal? Dessert? Can’t eat it because it’s not GF (gluten free)? Think again, my friends! There is always a GF alternative out there! Here are some of my personal favorites:
- Captain Crunch Cereal– This is one of my favorite cereals in the world, by far. By shopping at my favorite health food stores I found a much healthier and GF version. GF Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs Cereal can be found at Trader Joe’s, Better Health Market, and Whole Foods.
- Pasta– Who doesn’t love a delicous Italian meal? If you love pasta, you will love Trader Joe’s GF Organic Brown Rice Pasta. Be sure to follow the directions and rinse with cold water after cooking. You will find the taste and texture even better than your standard plate of pasta.
- Pizza– I have tried many a GF pizza in the past eight years. Thus far none have compared to the GF pizza at DOC’s Bar and Grill in Livonia, MI, located at 19265 Victor Pkwy. If it were not on the GF menu, you wouldn’t even know it was GF.
- Chinese food– PF Chang’s China Bistro has a variety of GF meals on the menu, but the best meal I have tasted is the Chang’s Spicy Chicken. If you like a little spice with a healthy amount of sauce, you will love this. This is my favorite Chinese meal in the entire world. When you order, be sure to ask for the GF version.
- Pancakes– Bob’s Red Mill GF Pancake Mix will give you your Sunday morning pancake fix! They are soft, chewy, and moist, and can be mixed with any type of fruit before cooking. I usually mix in blueberries or bananas. This can be found at Kroger in the Harvest section, or online by clicking the link.
- Brownies– Believe it or not, Betty Crocker can make a mean GF brownie mix! I bake these and bring them to parties and social events all the time, and no one can tell the difference. In fact, everyone raves about them! They are soft, moist, and filled with decadent chocolate morsels. These can be found at almost any grocery store in the baking aisle.
- Beer– This is a tough one at social events. Wine is always a good alternative. However, I found Crispin Hard Ciders to be an even better one. Hard ciders are gluten free, and have that bubbly, comforting effect you get when you take a sip of cold beer on a hot summer day. There are other hard cider options out there, but Crispin is by far the best one I have tasted.
- Cinnamon Raisin Bread– What could be better than a warm piece of cinnamon raisin toast in the morning with butter and strawberry preserves? I will tell you: GF Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread toasted with organic butter and organic strawberry preserves. This sells itself. I say no more.
- Pretzels– These have always been an easy and tasty go-to snack. But definitely not GF. I had given up on pretzels for a while, until I came across Glutino GF Pretzels at Better Health Market and Meijer. You may have seen me repeat this several times in this article, but I just cannot help myself…These are better than your average pretzel. They come in a family size as well as regular size bag. I recommend the family size. They will go quickly, I promise you.
- Soup– Close your eyes and imagine yourself curled up under a blanket in front of a fire, with a warm cup of soup in hand. Trader Joe’s GF Lentil Vegetable Soup could not be a better complement for this scenario. Also a vegetarian option, it is hearty, delicious, and filled with a variety of healthy vegetables. Click the link for a list of GF items at Trader Joe’s.
There you have it folks. This is my top ten list of gluten free goodness substitutions, not listed in any particular order because they are all equally awesome. Enjoy these tasty delights, remembering to honor your body and soul.