It’s January and Atlanta is expecting snow. You know what that means.
- No school, kids will be home and full of energy.
- No work, most businesses and retail will be closed.
- No gym, your workout may suffer.
And you were doing so good, too! It’s only the second week of January, you are still going strong on your weight loss goals. And now you cannot go to the gym. Neglecting your workout when you are just getting established in a good health routine could be the downfall of a good program. Don’t let it happen to you. You can still workout at home – here’s three easy ways:
1. Alternate cardio workout. Use this program when you are stuck inside or traveling or just don’t want to get on a machine such as a treadmill or bike. The key is to keep moving, for one minute at a time. Pick one of the exercises below and do this exercise for one complete minute. Then rest for a minute. Keep a timer nearby or wear a watch so you can monitor each minute. Also, keep a pen and paper handy so you can record how many sets you complete. Goal is to complete 10 sets. That means you exercise for a minute, rest for a minute – that’s one set. Do this 10 times – exercising for a minute, resting for a minute, exercising, resting. At the end of 20 minutes, you will have completed a good cardio workout and by now, you should be sweating.
- Jumping jacks
- Jumping rope
- Walk in place
- Run in place
- Dance – twist
- Bunny hop
2. Total body workout. A combination of body exercises when you don’t have access to weights or machines at the gym. Complete 10 repetitions of each exercise listed below – that’s one set. Strive to do 5-10 sets, depending on how you feel. Do not rest in between exercises, but rest for a few minutes after each set.
- Shoulder press with broom, lift broom over head then to shoulders
- Dip, sit on a chair with hands by sides, legs stretched out, take weight off chair and dip down slightly
- Squats, stand in front of a chair slightly and squat as if you are going to sit in the chair
- Lunges, holding a chair on the side, take a big step back with one leg, almost touching the floor with your knee, repeat on other side
3. The third one is a little more complex. It requires some equipment and attitude. Gather your gear: Hat, mittens, shorts, warm pair of pants over shorts, shirt, long-sleeve shirt over shirt, scarf, jacket, shoes or boots [no flip-flops], kids. Find anything you can to slide [garbage can lid, cardboard box or trashbag] and your courage and go outside in the snow.
- Play like a kid.
- Slide down a hill
- Make a snowman
- Have a snowball fight
- Make snow angels
- Watch your kids and run with them
- Watch your dogs and play with them.
- Sweat. After 30 minutes to 1 hour, come inside and have hot chocolate while you get warm.
All three workouts will keep you on-track for your weight loss. So, don’t dispair that you cannot go to the gym on snowy days. Do one of the workouts above – or all three – and keep your mind focused on your goals. You can do it!
For more honesty in weight loss and a true desire to help people fight obesity, visit our Facebook fanpage or click on the “Subscribe” button above. Have a great New Year’s and be strong and healthy, friends!