Jumpsuits have been seen on celebs and fashion runways in a range of styles, from casual to more formal. The jumpsuit creates a streamlined silhouette that – when done well – can be flattering on any size and body shape. It is also easy to take a great jumpsuit from season to season by layering it with great sweaters or blazers as the weather turns colder.
Here are nods to the best jumpsuit styles and links to online stores where you can create an adorable jumpsuit look for a steal.
1) Tailored Jumpsuit – The most business appropriate of the jumpsuit looks, this style gives the image of an all in one suit and would look great paired with heels or booties. Whitney Port was seen in a black tailored piece, chicly styled with a bun and minimal accessories. ASOS has a fantastically sleek option that is perfect for the office. A more playful version is this ruffled and studded jumpsuit that is less that $35.
2) Loose and Embellished Strapless Jumpsuit – The key to pulling off this look is all in the fit. The top of the jumpsuit should fit your chest comfortably, but the legs of the pants should fit wide and hang from a roomy seat (i.e. lower than the natural crotch area).
Rachel MacAdams mixes style and comfort with ease in this black jumpsuit. Macy’s wide leg strapless jumpsuit features ruffles at the bustline, a smocked waistline for easy fitting, and a price tag that is lower than $20!! This jumpsuit would look great worn under cute sweater or cardigan like this cream cable knit one from Forever 21. While it’s only available in plus sizing, Necessary Objects has a convertable jumpsuit (the straps are removable) that is so stylish, it begs to be worn everywhere.
3) Wide and Drapey Jumpsuit – If the strapless options left you looking for more…coverage that is…this jumpsuit might be of interest to you. This look covers the top and shoulders, but creates and emphasizes the hourglass silhouette through a wide collar, cinching at the waist, and extra wide leg trousers.
The ever-so-stylish Victoria Beckham was spotted in this look heading to an evening dinner. A great version of this that also comes in petite and plus sizing can be found from Macys for around $40. If interested, you could also upgrade the belt to a statement making version like this woven and textured one from Forever 21 (it’s only 7 bucks!).
4) Baggy to Skinny Jumpsuit – This style of jumpsuit is meant to fit loose around the chest and at the hip, but become fitted and tapered through the leg. This style can be easily dressed up or down depending on the accessories – necklace and killer heels for a night out, or chuncky bracelets and peep-toe booties or flats for the day. Mena Survari looks ready for anything in this blue silk version. Hop over and check out DKNY’s trendy take or this petite sized strapless option from ASOS, which is now only $15!
5) Fitted and Printed Jumpsuit – If you really want to have fun with the jumpsuit, why not try one in an exciting print? Proceed with caution – all over prints arent for everyone and the wrong print can be overwhelming on some body types. Also, the print makes this jumpsuit better suited for casual and/or weekend occasions. Kate Hudson pulls off this animal print jumper under a pea coat while sightseeing in New York. Loving the leopard print? ASOS has a $40 option that if styled under a cropped blazer (or motorcycle jacket) with heels and killer shades, could really turn heads.
*All around Best Jumpsuit*
The winner goes to this ultra comfy and sleek number from ASOS, which features a wide cowl neck that can be brought over the head as a hood (a la Lady Gaga back in her ‘Just Dance’ days), a drop waist with drawstring, and the ultimate comfort feature – pockets at the hip. This would the the perfect jumpsuit to throw on for so many occasions: to wear while travelling, doing laundry, meeting friends for brunch, lounging around the house…the possibilities are endless.