Spring has sprung, however, here in New York, Spring is being a bit fickle. Today is cloudy with a cold breeze blowing. The thermometer is barely caressing 50 degrees: feels more like Winter!
Perhaps if we all close our eyes and imagine the warmth of a forgotten sun gently kissing our skin with all that much needed Vitamin C; remember the lyric sound of songbirds embellishing on an ancient tune; or ponder the scent of a Spring rain and it’s fragrant, heady aroma as it nourishes the emerging flowers, Spring will, in fact, embrace our Winter heavy world.
Ah, yes. Spring reminds us of birth and renewal and all things green. Green is also the color of this first Spring recipe!
Green lentils make a wonderful meal, packed with vitamins, minerals and, if you use your own homemade stock (click here for the recipe), it imparts glucosamine sulfate (which nourishes bones and connective tissue–read about it) in an extremely available source.
This recipe comes from the new Gut and Psychology Diet book, called “Internal Bliss”, written by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.
Lentil Stew With Greens
- 2 Tbsp Ghee or butter
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 cups of Lentils, soaked for 24 hours and drained
- 2 cups of chopped Greens (I used organic frozen peas–delicious)
- 1 quart (or more) Bone Broth (recipe)
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Saute onions in ghee for several minutes until they soften. Add the garlic and spices and continue to saute on moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils and greens and cook for a few minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer until lentils are tender, 30-50 minutes.
- To thin the stew (optional), add more stock and heat through. Remove from heat and add lemon juice or vinegar.
For more information on the GAPS diet (click here).
For local organic veggies, lentils and spices, go to Wild by Nature in Hampton Bays!
Remember to ask for REAL foods in our supermarkets and health food stores (even our health food stores are loaded with fake milks, soy products, and low fat dairy…ask for the REAL food version). Go to the community page for this movement at: Flex Your Money Muscle for REAL Food
Click on the link above and ‘like’ the community page! I’d love to hear what items you will request at your local food store! Remember, our money is our power. Basically, you vote with your money. Speak up and ask for REAL food.