When you have a preschooler at home days can fly by filled by feeding, cleaning, redirecting, and endless chores. While the lofty long ago made goals of nurturing an intelligent child to his fullest potential fall by the way side, bowled over by the realities of life.
Many times having a theme or direction for the day can help a parent better aim at those lofty goals while still accomplishing the mundane tasks that every day life requires.
1. Announce the Letter of the Day
– To encourage participation by your child, and to give them a sense of involvement and control, announce the letter of the day at the breakfast table. ( If you have already done the letter A day, they might just wake up asking ” What letter is today!”)
2. Create games designed around your letter and it’s sounds.
–Blow Bubbles ( You can find big bottles of bubbles at a local Flint Dollar store)
–Ball Bounce and Say
–B Bug Seek and Find
Check out the slide show to the left for pictures and descriptions of these games as well as the B book
3. Read a book or story including the letter of the day
– Today’s book is Mr. Brown can Moo can You? by Dr. Seuss
*Along with it being Mr’s Brown’s story, it is a book filled with lively sounds and fun interactions including BOOM BOOM BOOM
( Be sure to have your child participate in making the sound. They will have great fun with it, and participatory learning always embeds knowledge better than simply receptive learning)
4. Feed your child with the letter B
–Bananas ( You can draw on your banana the night before with an eraser, and by the next morning your indentation will have oxidized leaving the shape of your drawing )
* I would suggest drawing a letter B and if your child is older talking about what causes the Banana to brown.
–Bears ( Teddy Grahams)
–Broccoli ( It’s worth a try)
5. Come up with creative sentences using the letter B and encourage your child to do the same.
-Bouncing baby bumble bees buzzed by.
Use this focused day to do all the things you would normally do with your child, but in a productive and purposeful way. And don’t forget to have fun!
( Click here to check out the letter A day)
Click subscribe at the top of the page to be e-mailed the next letter articles.