With last month’s blockbuster announcement on RAW of Shawn Michaels being revealed as the first name to be inducted in 2011 Classs of the WWE Hall of Fame, it’s time to talk about what other stars should be inducted. In the past few years the rumors of who is getting the call to be honored the night before Wrestlemania are always hotly debated. Several reports are stating that several other big name stars are planned for this year’s class. Four Horseman member and WWE backstage official Arn Anderson is said to be a “lock” for this year’s Hall of Fame. What wrestling stars who are not in the Hall of Fame, should be given the honor?
The Pro Wrestling Examiner has a couple suggestions with an ongoing series , “Wrestling Stars who should be in the WWE Hall of Fame’.
Lex Luger: Though he was never the most technically sound wrestler, Luger’s million dollar look and notable feuds in WWE and WCW in the early/mid 90s give him a solid chance to get the call to be honored in Atlanta. The “Total Package” was a 5 time U.S Champion, 2 time WCW World Champion, and was the Royal Rumble co-winner in 1994.Do other children of the 90’s remember Luger getting on the Lex Express to tour the country and clash with Yokozuna at Summerlsam ’93? That was a pretty epic story for little wrestling dorks like me back then. If the WCW theme is played out this year, Luger has a pretty good shot but there is no chatter right now that he will be inducted this year.
Some of Luger’s notable accomplishments
- 2-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion: One of these title wins included stealing the Big Gold Belt off an heel Hollywood Hogan during the peak of the NWO.
- The All-American Lex Express: In 1993, Luger became a huge babyface American superhero who got a bus called the Lex Express, as he chased WWE Champion and America hater, Yokozuna at Summerslam ’93. Luger started the fued with Yokozuna by being the only man to bodyslam the giant in the U.S.S Intrepid when he challenged ‘weak Americans’. Though he did not capture the Championship in the eventual match , Luger did knock the 500 ilb Sumo out of the ring with the steel plate in his forearm for a countout victory and a spot at the top of the WWE card.
- From the Pro Football to Pro Wrestling: Luger was on the practice sqaud for the NFL’s Green Bay Packers and did a stints in the Canadian Football League and United States Football League. in 1985, Luger was recruited into pro wrestling by Bob Roop because of his look and quickly rose the ranks in the NWA.
- More than just a Look: Luger has been constantly cricitized in his career for getting by on his chizzled muscles and smart allic grin, and nothing else. This critique was hanging on ‘the Total Package’ in his early years. Yet in 1990 ,Luger was proving his ability to ‘go’ in the ring with wrestling greats like STING and Ric Flair.
What do you think of Lex Luger a WWE Hall of Fame inductee?
Let us know what you think the comment box. Do you think he deserves the WWE Hall of Fame honors?
Read these other articles in the “Wrestling Stars who should be in the Hall of Fame” series
- Road Warriors/Legion of Doom
- Arn Anderson