Need a chocolate fix for your next dinner party? You’re just in time to commemorate Celebration of Chocolate Month with individual servings of hot chocolate – in mugs (as long as they’re ovenproof stoneware mugs, of course) – but the hot chocolate is in a form we don’t usually see.
Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Cake resembles a steaming mug of cocoa, but goes beyond the norm in being solid. Yum: solid chocolate. Eat your hot cocoa with a fork.
Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Cake
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for coating
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Generously butter, flour, and sugar eight 6-ounce coffee cups or mugs made of ovenproof stoneware; wipe the rims clean.
- Place the 8 tablespoons of butter and the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water; melt, stirring once or twice until smooth.
- Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes.
- Using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar at the highest speed until the volume doubles and the mixture becomes foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the 3 tablespoons of flour into the chocolate, then gradually add it to the egg mixture, beating on low until it’s fully incorporated.
- Ladle the batter into each cup until it’s about 1/2 inch from the rim.
- Bake until the cakes puff and begin to crack but the centers are still a bit runny, 13 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with marshmallows, then return to oven for 2 to 4 minutes, until the marshmallow tops begin to crisp.
- Remove from oven; let cool about 5 minutes.
- Sift the cocoa on top.
recipe from Beth Pilar and Real Simple
Clip the coupon from your local Lucky or Savemart ad this week to purchase 1 pound of butter for only $1.99.
Want more chocolate-y recipes? Try:
Twix Cheesecake Pie
Chocolate Caramel Apples
Double Chocolate Pecan Popcorn
(Wheat-free) Chocolate Amaretti Cake
Chocolate Chip Cherry Coffee Ice Cream
See more recipe suggestions just below this article.
Santa Clara Cooking Examiner welcomes you to click on the Subscribe button above this article, to receive a free and no-obligation e-mail notification of new recipe and cooking information posts.