Chihuahuas are very inquisitive and if they are anything like mine, eat anything. As we all know, many things they eat can be toxic to dogs . . . especially tiny dogs like ours. The mushroom is a fungus vegetable that many of us enjoy regularly. There are many varieties of mushrooms existing and not all of them are safe for consumption. We certainly can’t just go to our yards and pick any mushroom we see that is growing wild. As pet parents, we must also be aware of our dogs’ behaviors when playing outdoors. While our dogs may be grazing in the grass, they can sometimes eat one of those wild mushrooms, causing them great distress.
A toxic mushroom contains cyclopeptides. Amanita, Galerina, and Lepiota species of mushrooms contain this toxin, with the Amanita as the most wildly documented cause of fatal mushroom poisoning in dogs. Puppies are more susceptible as they are the most curious. Once consumed, clinical signs can range from minutes to hours.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs can be –
· Excessive drooling
· Difficulty breathing
· Gastrointestinal distress
· Liver failure
More symptoms could be present dependent upon the amount of mushroom toxicity. It is important that your dog does not wander without your observations. If you do see that your dog did eat a wild mushroom or you notice any of the symptoms of toxicity, call your veterinarian immediately.
Diagnosing mushroom poisoning can be difficult without knowing for sure (or having a suspicion) that your dog did indeed consume the toxin. The only definitive means of identifying mushroom poisoning is to examine the stomach contents.
If you catch your dog eating mushrooms, try to remove what you can from the mouth and then induce vomiting. You can use syrup of ipecac (1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight), or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% – (1 tablespoon every 10 minutes) and repeat 3 times. Then immediately call your veterinarian. However, if you suspect your dog did get into some mushrooms without actually seeing them, get your dog to the doctor for treatment.
Treatment most often will involve inducing the dog to vomit as well as fluid therapy. Some other options your veterinarian may suggest are the administering of activated charcoal to absorb the mushroom toxins and treating underlying issues caused by the toxins such as kidney or liver failure and seizures.
When you have a dog, it is imperative to investigate your yard for any potential dangers such as any poisonous toxins. Dogs love the run of their yards and we as the pet parents have to be sure that “playground” is a safe and happy environment.
For Vet assistance in the Rockford area, you can check out – http://www.rockfordvetclinics.com/, http://bellwoodvets.com/, http://www.petswelcome.com/illinois/rockford/veterinarians.html
For all your pets needs in Rockford, go to your local PETCO – 6305 East State Street, Rockford, IL 61108, (815) 229-0184 – http://www.petco.com/ or your local PETSMART – 6320 East State Street, Rockford, IL 61108, (815) 397-7880 – http://stores.petsmart.com/result-details.php?store=493 – PETLAND, (815) 332-4200 – www.petland.com/
For all your grooming needs of your small sized dogs near the Rockford area, just write to Pup-E-Luv Grooming at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and appointments.
In the Rockford, Illinois area or wherever you are, this site is a must have for all animal lovers. We always want to provide the best care, safety and love for our pets and this site is chock full of reviews and imperative information on important products for all pet lovers. An avid animal lover creates this site with your pets in mind. It is advisable to put this site in your favorites or bookmarks and check it out often as this pet blogging site of important information is updated almost daily. Please visit this site at http://loveourpets.eproduct-review.com/ and visit often. Be the most educated pet parent!