Ever get the impression that some people wouldn’t know what to do if they weren’t being offended?
Newly elected Alabama governor and Baptist deacon Robert Bentley caused a stir when speaking at a church service honoring Dr. Martin Luther King: “Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother.” Atlanta Journal Constitution reports Jewish and secular factions offended, and Bentley’s profuse apology to those who found it an unacceptable, inappropriate statement coming from a government official. Interesting is who they left out as taking issue.
Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, stated:
“Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved? Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That’s not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don’t want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life.”
Yet Bentley wasn’t speaking as a politician. He was speaking as a Christ follower, in a church. He clarified that in his job as governor he would strive to make everyone’s life better regardless of their color, age, faith, socioeconomic status or political affiliation. Religious studies associate professor Candy Gunther Brown defends Bentley’s “classic altar call … He’s saying I want to be your brother. That’s an invitation. But basically the way it’s heard is as an exclusionary statement.”
Contrast this Christian controversy (that has the main stream media unglued) with a chilling truth. All over the civilized world, populations not already dominated by Muslim culture are being strong-armed to assimilate to, and in some cases subsidize, it. Mark Steyn reveals this increasing coercion in “America Alone: The End of the World as We Know It.” Steyn writes: “Someday soon, you might wake up to the call to prayer from a muezzin. Europeans already are.”
Past decade in Western Europe alone, in no particular order:
- A Muslim councillor told a woman applicant: “My Muslim members don’t want you because you are Jewish.”
- “Jailed [Islamic] hate preacher’s … home has a 40,000 pound makeover… paid by taxpayers.”
- Another hate preacher brags about receiving 25,000 pounds per year and lives in a 320,000 pound home, both courtesy of the British taxpayers. He and five cohorts who screamed “burn in hell,” “rapists” and “murderers” to British soldiers returning from Iraq, are on welfare, costing taxpayers 50,000 pounds per year.
- Kent “prison spends 17,000 pounds on footbaths and [special] toilets for Muslims.”
- “Muslim pupils learn to cut off the hands of thieves” in British Islamic schools.
- Burger King in Scotland stopped selling ice cream cones because a Muslim complained the design on the lid “resembled the Arabic inscription for Allah, and branded it sacrilegious, threatening a “jihad.” Burger King spent thousand of pounds redesigning the lid and issued an apology.
- Also in Scotland, postcards of an adorable puppy in a policeman’s hat were distributed to advertise the station’s new telephone number. Muslims in the area consider dogs unclean; hence their outrage spurred police to apologize.
- Preparing for the 2012 London Olympics, Scotland Yard sought specialized advice on how to “to ensure that the planned commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the massacre of Israeli athletes by Palestinian terrorists at the Munich Games does not offend local and travelling Muslims.” Islamic scholar warns the games, which clash with Ramadan, could “become a national security threat if it was not managed properly and was perceived by Muslims to be ‘hijacking’ the Games.”
- In 2002 Paris’s first openly gay mayor was stabbed by a devout Muslim who “did not like homosexuals.” Oddly, the UK Telegraph did not classify the attacker as Muslim.
- Also in Paris, Muslims praying in the streets literally shut them down. Locals couldn’t enter or leave their homes. Such public disruption is illegal yet the police were instructed not to intervene.
Islamic extremism continues to metastasize… through the Netherlands, Scandinavia; yesterday in Australia an Islamic preacher preparing for a debate against democracy said: “I hate the parliament in Canberra. I want to go straight for the jugular vein and advise the parliament that they have no right to legislate. They should immediately step down and let the Muslims take over.”
The United States is not immune from the crushing weight of politically correct multiculturalism or appeasement mentality. “A New Jersey family judge accepts ‘Sharia Defense’ to Excuse Spousal Rape.” Those opposed to the Ground Zero mosque are deemed bigots and hate mongers by the elitist left, who appear oblivious that the extremists view them as infidels too. “I am surprised that in America in 2010 racism and bigotry has found another face. Now it is against the Muslims,” says a Muslim supporter of the mosque, clearly adroit in the leftist politics of victimology.
Governor Bentley goes on to say, “I will never deny being a born-again Christian. I do have core beliefs and I will die with those core beliefs … But I do not want to be harmful to others. And I will die if I have to to defend someone else’s right to worship as they choose.”
Brother Bentley, pray for us believers and non-believers alike. We need it.
Incidentally, how offensive is a terrorist plot just discovered in Canada?