New York City might seem a strange spot to head if you’re looking for Texas-style BBQ but Hill Country Barbecue is as authentic eats as you’ll get without flying to the Lonestar State. It’s winning formula of hearty BBQ and house rockin’ music has resulted in the launch of a second location in Washington DC. You can be tucking into a plate of food in less than two hours from Toronto,
The restaurant is set up market style (think Toronto’s Marche) and diners pick up meat at the meat counter and then move to other counters for their side dishes,. The meat is dry rubbed with spices ( no sauce ) and smoked on site,over post oak wood from Texas. The slabs of meat are then hard carved by the Pitmasters who wield cleavers with ferocity at an open counter. The meat is ordered by weight or piece. Once weighed and priced, its wrapped in butcher block paper and the price marked on your card. Diners then take their tray loaded with thick slices of beef brisket or Fred Flinstone-sized ribs to the sides counter where you’ve got a choice of hot or cold sides. Campfire baked beans with burnt ends and longhorn Mac and Cheese are top choices.
Drinks are ordered at your table and come in a Mason jar. Choose from a wide selection of bourbons including Four Roses and Maker’s Mark. Torontonians who want a taste of home can choose Crowne Royal or Seagrams. An expansive tequila menu adds to the party atmosphere.
- Live music with no cover charge makes this a great spot for a special occasion celebration
- Not suitable for a romantic dinner for two
- Family-friendly you won’t have to worry about noise level
- Moist beef brisket is the top choice or go for the Pitmasters Combo ($25 ) which includes ¼ lb lean brisket, one Pork Spare rib, one beef rib Quarter Chicken and any two 8 oxz sides (worth it to add $1 for Campfire Beans or Mac & Cheese).
- Comes with 2 slices of white bread
- BBQ sauce or Texas house sauce is applied at your own table
- Ideal for a guys night out or a girls date night
- Buy a cupcake for dessert and you’ve got a party.
- Grab a chocolate chip cookie on the way out.
- You can also get anything wrapped to go
It’s an easy 1.5 hour flight from Toronto via Porter Airlines and you can be tucking into a plate of food in less than 3 hours door to door. Free delivery within a specified radius
Between Broadway and 6thAvenue
30 West 26thStreet New York, NY (212) 255-4544