February 21, 2011, WPRI.com: The Newport Winter Festival (R. I.) – Peace, Fun, and Winter is off to a perfect beginning with fun in the air and snow on the ground. With reduced rates in hotels, restaurants, museums, shops, ice skating, and free children’s activities during school vacation, southern New Englanders can enjoy this week-long snowy celebration every day through February 27, 2011. Find the calendar of events, where to buy festival buttons, and discounts galore!
“The Newport Winter Festival is proud to have been the recipients of the Governor’s State Tourism Award. In the past the Festival has been voted ‘Best Off-Season Event’ by Newport Life Magazine’s “Best of Newport” Awards.”
Discounts with buttons:
Newport Winter Festival 2011 offers tons of activitiies, discounts with button, here are just a few:
- mansion tours, children 6-17 free with an adult
- train rides
- ice sculpture contest
- paint your own pottery
- ice skating, free parking
- sand-sculpting on the beach
- comedy show
- Beatlemania concert
February 21st, Children’s Fair continues at the Marriott: Featuring face painting, balloon creations, arts & crafts and much more….Newport Marriott 11:30am-4:00pm
Today’s events include:
- 12pm – The Lucky Show – an amazing show filled with magic, high energy juggling and comedy.
- 1:15pm – Mad Science Show – Watch as Atomic Allen creates a Bubble Show and conjures a foggy storm with Dry Ice!
- 1:30-3pm – Fire Engine Tour & Safety Lesson – Newport Marriott parking lot, hosted by the Newport Fire Department. Free.
- 2:15pm – The Lucky Show – an amazing show filled with magic, high energy juggling and comedy.
- 3:15pm – Mad Science Show – Prepare to be amazed as paper disappears in a flash, objects float in mid-air… it’s not Magic it’s SCIENCE!
Ongoing activities schedule include: Face Painting, remarkable balloon artists Ron Sargent and Twister. Arts & Crafts. Rainforest Reptile Display featuring turtles, snakes and more. Plus “Just For Fun”will have Spin Art, Sand Art, and a Moonwalk.
If you didn’t purchase buttons online, buy them for $8 at these Aquidneck Island, R. I. locations:
- AAA Southern N.E. • 99 East Main Rd., Middletown
- Accidental Artist • 516 Thames St., Newport
- Bailey T’s • 3 Long Wharf Mall, Newport
- Clements’ Marketplace • East Main Rd., Portsmouth
- Cookie Jar • Bowen’s Wharf, Newport
- Hampton Inn & Suites • 317 West Main Rd., Middletown
- Hotel Viking • One Bellevue Avenue, Newport
- Hyatt Regency • Goat Island, Newport
- Mole Hole of Newport • 21A Long Wharf, Newport
- MWR ITT • Newport Navy Base
- Newport Gateway Center • 23 America’s Cup Avenue
- Newport Harbor Hotel • 49 America’s Cup Avenue
- Newport Marriott (gift shop) • 25 America’s Cup Avenue
- People’s Credit Union • All Branches
- Shaw’s Supermarket • East Main Rd., Middletown
- Wag Nation • 92 Williams St., Newport
- Walgreens • East Main Rd., Middletown
Follow Sharon Watterson on Twitter. Watterson writes about Northeast Travel, Knitting and crochet, Home and Living in Rhode Island, Sailing, and Landmarks in New England.