If you have a dog or a cat then you’ve probably been guilted into feeding them table scraps. Those sad eyes look at you, they place their head or paw on your lap and before you know it you give right in. At first it’s just a taste, then you give a little more and before you know it you’re giving them your whole dinner! Okay maybe it doesn’t go that far, but you get my point.
However there are foods out there that our pets should never eat, that can be dangerous to both our feline friends and canine companions. Listed below are some common foods that are toxic to your pet.
Alcohol: It is never a good idea to give your pet alcohol, as it can end in tragedy. Signs of alcohol poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, uncoordinated motion, urination problems, dehydration, disorientation, collapse, and coma. The best way to avoid this is to keep your pet away from alcoholic drinks, rubbing alcohol, aftershaves and perfumes. If your pet comes into contact with alcohol and you suspect poisioning you can try to induce vomiting by administering 1 tablespoon of an equal mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, although it is best that you call your veterinarian right away.
Avocado: Many pet owners say that they feed their pets avocados and have no problems. However according to the ASPCA, avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark contain a toxic principle known as Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. The Guatemalan variety, is the most common type of avocado found in stores, and contains the most toxicity. And although some pet parents report no negative side effects, it is better to be cautious and safe than sorry.
Bones (Fish, Poultry, Etc): Bones can be a choking hazard to pets, can splinter or cause an obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
Chocolate, Coffe, Caffine: According to the ASPCA, the substances in chocolate, coffee, and caffeine can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, urination, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, and even death in pets.
Grapes, Raisins, Currants: These contain a currently unknown toxin, thought to be in the “fleshy” part of the grape, which can cause kidney damage or failure. However there have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.
Hops: There is an unknown compound in Hops that causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and even death.
Macadamia Nuts: Contains an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle movement.
Mushrooms: Depending on the type of species, some mushrooms can contain toxins. Some cause central nervous system effects, including hallucinations, hyperactivity, and coma. While Others damage the liver, heart, or kidneys causing death. Clinical signs usually occur within 6-8 hours following ingestion. Mushrooms grow in the wild in most areas, and pets need to be closely supervised to prevent ingestion, if access to the mushrooms cannot be prevented.
Onions, Garlic, Chives (Raw or Cooked): These all contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can lead to gastrointestinal irritation, red blood cell damage and anemia. All forms of onion can cause problems, and though cats are more susceptible than dogs, it can be toxic to both.
Raw Meat, Undercooked Meat, Raw Eggs: There seems to be more and more people who are feeding and recommending the Raw Diet, especially around the Twin Cities. However it’s important that everyone understand that Raw meat and Raw eggs can contain harmful bacteria such as Salmonella, E. Coli, and many other parasites. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin, which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw meat or eggs may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet.
Yeast Dough: When yeast dough is uncooked, it can expand and produce gas in the digestive system. This can cause much pain to your pet and could actually rupture the stomach or intestines. However the risk goes away when the dough is fully cooked.
Artificial Sweetner (Xylitol): Xylitol is used in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia. Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to recumbancy and seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.
My Pet Ate Something Poisionous! Help!
If your pet is having a reaction such as seizures or is losing consciousness, bring them to your veterinarian or emergency vet center right away.
If your pet is not showing symptoms, but ingested something potentially toxic, call the ASPCA hotline at (888) 426-4435. You will need the following information: Pet species, breed, age, sex, weight, and information about the product exposure. It is best to have the package of the product available for reference.
People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets
Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Dog
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith
Foods Poisonous to Pets
By Megan Zehnder
Raw Diet References:
Evaluation of Pet-Related Management Factors and the Risk of Salmonella
Department of Population Medicine, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada.
Raw Diet Study
Banfield, The Pet Hospital, Christiansburg, VA 24060, USA.