While riding along a cliffside along a sea coast, Thundarr hears the blasts of lasers as a nearby firefight ensues. Two blue-skinned women in robes with shields and tridents are under attack by four other blue-skinned warrior women armed with laser rifles. A civil war of sorts is taking place amongst the shark Amazon people.
Shark Amazons are comely, amphibious, blue-skinned women. They have webbed hands and shark-like teeth. Shark Amazons have domain over several sea creatures, particularly sharks. They are savage fighters, asking for and giving no quarter. When swimming, a shark amazon tears with her talons or a weapon. About half of any group of shark amazon are also armed with nets.
- Shark Amazon (CR 2, HD 2d8+2)
- LE Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
- Init +1 Spd 30 or Swim 60
- Senses Underwater Sense (Ex); Blindsense (Ex): 30 ft.; Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; | Listen +6, Spot +6
- AC 16 (FF 15, Touch 11)
- hp 11 (Disabled -1/Dying -12/Injury 11)
- Saves: Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +1
- Atk +4 base melee, +3 base ranged; Grapple +4;
- +4 Melee (2 Talon 1d4+2/crit 20/x2) and +2 Melee (Bite 1d4+1/crit 20/x2);
- +3 Ranged (Laser 1d10/crit 19-20/x2);
- +4 Melee (Trident 1d8+3/crit 20/x2) and +2 Melee (Bite 1d4+1/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Blood Frenzy , Rake (Ex)
- SQ: Speak with Sharks (Ex), Light Blindness (Ex), Freshwater Sensitivity (Ex), Subtype: Aquatic, Water Dependant (Ex)
- Abilities STR 14, DEX 13, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 13, CHA 9
- Feats: Great Fortitude, Multiattack, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
- Skills: Handle Animal + 4, Hide + 6, Listen + 6, Spot + 6.
- Weapons: Crossbow, heavy; Trident.
- Blindsense (Ex): A shark amazon can locate creatures underwater within a 30-foot radius. This ability works only when the shark amazon is underwater.
- Freshwater Sensitivity (Ex): A shark amazon fully immersed in fresh water must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued. Even on a success, it must repeat the save attempt every 10 minutes it remains immersed.
- Speak with Sharks (Ex): Shark amazons can communicate telepathically with sharks up to 150 feet away. The communication is limited to fairly simple concepts such as “food,” “danger,” and “enemy.” Shark amazons can use the Handle Animal skill to befriend and train sharks.
- Water Dependent (Ex): Shark amazon scan survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules).
- Skills: A shark amazon has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. She can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. She can use the run action while swimming, provided she swims in a straight line.Underwater, a shark amazon has a +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks.A shark amazon has a +4 racial bonus on Survival and Profession (hunter) checks within 50 miles of her home. A shark amazon has a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal checks when working with sharks.
Deposed queen Deona allies with Ariel to overturn Styria, the shark amazon sorceress, before she wields an ancient secret weapon against the surface world. While swimming to the location of the secret weapon, the heroes are spotted by the Fraeken, a monstrous octopus-like creature trained to protect the area.
The fraeken is a webbed octopus with a humanoid face.
- Fraeken (CR 9, HD 7d10+14)
- N Large Animal (Aquatic,Mutated)
- Init +2 Spd 20 or Swim 30
- Senses Low-light Vision (Ex); | Listen +3, Spot +1
- AC 18 (FF 16, Touch 11)
- hp 52 (Disabled -2/Dying -15/Injury 15)
- Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +3
- Resistance: Radiation (Ex): 2,
- Atk +9 base melee, +6 base ranged; Grapple +14;
- +9 Melee (8 Arm /crit 20/x2) and +4 Melee (Bite 1d3+2/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Improved Grab (Ex)
- SQ: Ink Cloud (Ex), Jet (Ex), Drawbacks (Ex), Mutations (Ex), MP Cost: 4
- Abilities STR 20, DEX 15, CON 15, INT 2, WIS 12, CHA 3
- Feats: Weapon Finesse: Arm, Weapon Finesse: Bite.
- Skills: Escape Artist + 7, Hide + 2, Listen + 3.
- Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the fraeken must hit with its arms attack. If it gets a hold, it automatically deals bite damage each round the hold is maintained.
- Ink Cloud (Ex): A fraeken can emit a cloud of jet-black ink 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 10 feet long once a minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment, which the fraeken normally uses to escape a losing fight. Creatures within the cloud suffer the effects of total darkness.
- Jet (Ex): A fraeken can jet backward once a round as a double move action, at a speed of 200 feet.
- Shocker (Su): Once per round the fraeken can fire bolts of energy at an opponent, up to eight at a time from its tentacles. These bolts require a touch attack and inflict 1d6 points of electricity damage per tentacle aimed at the target. The tentacles can be aimed at different opponents in any combination, for example two tentacles at one opponent for 2d6 damage and six tentacles at another for 6d6 damage.
Ookla and Thundarr are captured but escape, reuniting with Ariel before inadvertently leading Styria to an ancient nuclear missile. The missile is guarded by a giant six-legged spider.
This spider looks similar to a giant spider but has only six legs. It has a skull-like white head and red, furry legs.
- Mutant Spider (CR 6, HD 10d10+20)
- N Huge Vermin (Mutated)
- Init +3 Spd Climb 20 or 30
- Senses Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; | Listen +0, Spot +8
- AC 16 (FF 13, Touch 11)
- hp 75 (Disabled -2/Dying -14/Injury 14)
- Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +3
- Immunity: Mind-Affecting Attacks (Ex), Resistance: Radiation (Ex): 2,
- Atk +9/+4 base melee, +8/+3 base ranged; Grapple +19; Face 15’x15′; Reach 10′;
- +9 Melee (Bite 2d6+6/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Poison (Ex) , Web (Ex)
- SQ: Racial Traits: Vermin, Mindless (Ex)
- Abilities STR 19, DEX 17, CON 14, INT –, WIS 10, CHA 2
- Skills: Climb + 14, Hide + 1, Move Silently + 4, Spot + 8.
- Web (Ex): Mutant spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size. Mutant spiders can cast a web eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size smaller that the spider. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement. An entangled creature can escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC 28) or burst it with a Strength check (DC 34). Mutant spiders often create sheets of sticky webbing from 5 to 60 feet square, depending on the size of the spider. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed at a Spot check (DC 20) to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack. Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 14 hit points, and sheet webs have damage reduction 5/fire. A mutant spider can move across its own sheet web at its climb speed and can determine the exact location of any creature touching the web.
- Poison (Ex): Bite, Fortitude save (DC 22), initial and secondary damage 1d8 Strength.
It turns out that the missile is actually a Trojan horse of sorts, containing Stryia and her minions. Ariel moves the battle to the surface, where the two engage in a battle of magic before Stryia is finally banished and Deona is restored to her rightful throne.
For more about this episode see The Savage AfterWorld.
Want more? Subscribe to this column; follow me on Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Pinterest, Twitter, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Become an examiner and get paid to write today!