Thundarr witnesses a ship adift at sea in an area called the Mystery Zone. Joining Captain Weelos (who, if my ears don’t deceive me, is voiced by the same guy who played Fred Flintstone), the crew is ambushed by Circe, a witch.
(Trying to save the ship’s mast in the storm)
Thundarr: Put your back to it, Ookla!
Ariel: Stand back, fellas! Let a lady handle this. (Uses her magic to return the mast to perfect condition)
Thundarr: Ookla and I could have saved the mast.
Ariel: You can save the next one, okay?
She conjures forth the sea demon known as Dreadlon.
Dreadlon is a giant pink beast with an elasmosaurus-style head with eight tentacles.
- Dreadlon (CR 6, HD 15d8+45)
- N Huge Aberration (Aquatic)
- Init -2 Spd 20
- Senses Scent (Ex); Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; | Listen +9, Spot +9
- AC 17 (FF 17, Touch 6)
- hp 115 (Disabled -3/Dying -17/Injury 17)
- Saves: Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +10
- Atk +13/+8/+3 base melee, +7/+2/-3 base ranged; Grapple +23; Face 10’x10′; Reach 10′;
- +14 Melee (2 Tentacle 2d6+4/crit 20/x2) and +8 Melee (Bite 1d8+2/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Improved Grab (Ex) , Constrict (Ex) , Disease (Ex)
- SQ: Amphibious (Ex)
- Abilities STR 19, DEX 6, CON 17, INT 5, WIS 12, CHA 6
- Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack: Bite, Improved Natural Attack: Tentacle, Power Attack, Toughness, Weapon Focus: Tentacle.
- Skills: Hide-4, Listen + 9, Spot + 9, Swim + 12.
- Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the dreadlon must hit a Medium-size or smaller opponent with a tentacle attack. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.
- Constrict (Ex): A dreadlon deals automatic tentacle damage to a Medium-size or smaller opponent with a successful grapple check.
Circe is cursed to be turned to stone if she ever tries to leave the island, but she has found a loophole: she plans to switch minds with another sorceress (preferably young and beautiful). Mere humans simply won’t do.
Circe first tries to kidnap Ariel with her brood of dragon-like minions.
- Dragon Minion (CR 5, HD 8d8+24)
- LE Large Monstrous Humanoid
- Init +0 Spd 25
- Senses Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft. | Listen -1, Spot -1
- AC 23 (FF 23, Touch 9)
- hp 60 (Disabled -3/Dying -17/Injury 17)
- Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +5
- Atk +11/+6 base melee, +7/+2 base ranged; Grapple +16; Face 10’x10′; Reach 10′;
- +12/+7 Melee (Longsword, Masterwork 2d6+4/crit 19-20/x2);
- +7/+2 Ranged (Sling 1d6+4/crit 20/x2);
- Abilities STR 19, DEX 10, CON 17, INT 11, WIS 8, CHA 8
- Feats: Simple Weapon Proficiency.
- Skills: Balance-2, Jump + 2, Swim-4.
- Weapons: Bullets, sling (10); Longsword, Masterwork; Sling. Armor: Breastplate. Shields: Shield, heavy steel.
- Special Qualities: Skills: Thanks to their tails, dragon minions have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
When that fails, she transforms the crew into toad creatures.
- Toad Mutant (CR 2, HD 2d8+2)
- NE Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
- Init +0 Spd 20 or Swim 50
- Senses Keen Sight (Ex); Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft. | Listen +7, Spot +11
- AC 18 (FF 18, Touch 10)
- hp 11 (Disabled -1/Dying -13/Injury 11)
- Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5
- Immunity: Paralysis (Ex), Immunity: Poison (Ex), Resistance: Electricity (Ex): 10,
- Atk +3 base melee, +2 base ranged; Grapple +3;
- +3 Melee (Bite 1d4+1/crit 20/x2);
- +3 Ranged (Tongue grapple);
- +3 Melee (Shortspear 1d6+1/crit 20/x2) and -2 Melee (Bite 1d4/crit 20/x2);
- SQ: Slippery (Ex), Amphibious (Ex),
- Abilities STR 13, DEX 10, CON 13, INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 8
- Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Simple Weapon Proficiency.
- Skills: Escape Artist + 6, Knowledge (Nature) + 4, Listen + 7, Move Silently + 1, Search + 8, Spot + 11.
- Weapons: Shortspear. Shields: Shield, heavy wooden.
- Keen Sight (Ex): Toad mutants have excellent vision thanks to their two independently focusing eyes. Their eyesight is so keen that they can spot a moving object or creature even if it is invisible, ethereal, or astral. Only by remaining perfectly still can such objects or creatures avoid their notice.
- Slippery (Ex): All toad mutants secrete an oily film that makes them difficult to grapple or snare. Webs, magic or otherwise, don’t affect toad mutants, and they usually can wriggle free from most other forms of confinement.
- Immunities (Ex): Toad mutants are immune to poison and paralysis. The various hold spells also have no effect on them, and their keen sight automatically detects figments for what they are.
- Amphibious (Ex): Although toad mutants breathe by means of gills, they can survive indefinitely on land.
- Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a toad mutant must hit with its tongue attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold with its tongue.
Toad creatures are particularly good at using their long tongues to trip opponents or bind their hands.
This tactic actually works, and the toad creatures bring Ariel to Circe, who performs the mind-switching ritual. Ariel, now in Circe’s body, flees to a wax museum — because of course wax museums survived 2,000 years. Although Ariel eventually convinces Thundarr of the switch, they are all captured by Circe, who imprisons them in Big Ben. Did I mention they’re in London?
Circe’s plan is to flee to an oil rig upon which is an “ancient flying machine.” She leaves Thundarr and friends strapped to giant gears in the traditional supervillain plot to destroy the heroes in the least convenient way possible.
Fortunately, Thundarr’s brute strength prevails. Ariel explains that if Thundarr touches Circe with his Sunsword at the “very moment she casts a spell” the spell will be reversed. Which is a prettty neat trick for a barbarian with a lightsaber.
As Circe repairs the helicopter on the oil rig, Thundarr and Ookla drop a tower on her. Literally. Frustrated, she animates two deep sea drills, which turn into serpentine animated objects.
Animated Sea Drill
- Animated Sea Drill (CR 5, HD 8d10)
- N Huge Construct
- Init -1 Spd 20, Climb 10
- Senses Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; Low-light Vision (Ex); | Listen -5, Spot -5
- AC 13 (FF 13, Touch 7)
- hp 84 (Disabled 0/Dying —/Injury –)
- Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will -3
- Immunity: Critical hits (Ex), Immunity: Mind-Affecting Attacks (Ex), Immunity: Poison (Ex), Immunity: Sleep Effects (Ex), Immunity: Paralysis (Ex), Immunity: Stun (Ex), Immunity: Disease (Ex), Immunity: Death Effects (Ex), Immunity: Nonlethal Damage (Ex), Immunity: Ability Damage (Ex), Immunity: Ability Drain (Ex), Immunity: Fatigue (Ex), Immunity: Exhaustion (Ex), Immunity: Energy Drain (Ex), Immunity: Fortitude Save-Based Attacks (Ex), Immunity: Death from Massive Damage (Ex), Immunity: Necromancy (Ex); Hardness 10
- Atk +9/+4 base melee, +3/-2 base ranged; Grapple +19; Face 15’x15′; Reach 15′;
- +9 Melee (Slam 2d6+7/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Constrict (Ex)
- SQ: Hardness (Ex), Improved Speed (Ex), Racial Traits: Construct, No Natural Healing (Ex), Cannot be Raised or Resurrected,
- Abilities STR 20, DEX 8, CON –, INT –, WIS 1, CHA 1
- Constrict (Ex): An animated sea drill deals automatic slam damage with a successful grapple check against creatures up to one size larger than itself. It can make constrict attacks against multiple creatures at once, if they all are at least two sizes smaller than the object and fit under it.
- Hardness (Ex): An animated sea drill has hardness 10.
- Improved Speed (Ex): An animated sea drill has a climb speed equal to half its land speed.
Ookla actually does something strategic this time and grabs the Sunsword from Circe. He tosses it to Thundarr, who hits Circe just as she casts a spell and voila! Ariel gets her body back and Circe’s curse kicks in, turning her to stone.
Want more? Subscribe to this column; follow me on Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Pinterest, Twitter, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Become an examiner and get paid to write today!