Our heroes come upon a village beset by werewolves! After witnessing the werewolves transform some of the villagers and leave with them, Thundarr and friends ride off in pursuit.
Shortly thereafter they come upon a village, with a rough band of thugs who welcome Thundarr with open arms. It seems they are concerned about a certain wizard Zevon with fire powers. No sooner is this explained than a lava worm appears.
This bizarre beast is bright red and always on fire. It has a formidable breath weapon in the form of a lava spew that sets all it touches ablaze. The lava worm is vulnerable to water-based attacks.
- Lava Worm (CR 3, HD 9d8+27)
- N Large Elemental (Earth,Fire,Extraplanar)
- Init +4 Spd 30 or Burrow 20
- Senses Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; Tremorsense (Ex): 60 ft.; | Listen +7, Spot +3
- AC 18 (FF 18, Touch 9)
- hp 67 (Disabled -3/Dying -17/Injury 17)
- Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +4
- Immunity: Fire (Ex), Vulnerability: Cold (Ex), Immunity: Poison (Ex), Immunity: Sleep Effects (Ex), Immunity: Paralysis (Ex), Immunity: Stun (Ex), Immunity: Critical hits (Ex), Immunity: Flanking (Ex), Immunity: Reincarnate (Ex), Immunity: Raise Dead (Ex), Immunity: Resurrection (Ex); Vulnerability: Water (Ex)
- Atk +11/+6 base melee, +5/+0 base ranged; Grapple +16;
- +11 Melee (Slam 2d6+9/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Heat (Ex) , Burn (Ex)
- SQ: Subtype: Fire, Racial Traits: Elemental,
- Abilities STR 23, DEX 11, CON 17, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 10
- Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack: Slam, Track.
- Skills: Jump + 8, Listen + 7, Move Silently + 3, Spot + 3, Survival + 2.5.
- Heat (Ex): Merely touching or being touched by a lava worm automatically deals 2d6 fire damage.
- Burn (Ex): When a lava worm hits with its slam attack, the opponent must succeed at a Reflex save (DC 13) or catch fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds if not extinguished sooner. The burning creature can use a full-round action to put out the flame.
- Fire Subtype (Ex): Fire immunity, double damage from cold except on a successful save.
- Tremorsense (Ex): Lava worms can automatically sense the location of anything within 60 feet that is in contact with the ground.
- Breath Weapon (Ex): A lava worm can breathe fire at will in a 60 foot line for 3d8 points of damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) reduces damage by half.
Convinced that these innocent people need Thundarr’s help, they journey with the odd villagers to find Zevon’s lair — at the center of a volcano! The werewolf curse kicks in only at night, and Thundarr discovers too late who his companions really are. After Thundarr is transformed into a werewolf and turns on his friends, Ariel discovers a magic spring that reverses the process. The race is on to find Zevon before the werewolves convert him to their cause.
Zevon eventually retreats to his lair at the center of a volcano. The werewolves take on his robot guardians and eventually catch up to him.
Zevon’s Guardian Robots
These white robots look like typical guard bots, with an almost police-like appearance. They fire energy bolts from their hands.
- Zevon’s Guardian Robot (CR 2, HD 2d10)
- N Medium Construct
- Init +0 Spd 30
- Senses Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; Low-light Vision (Ex); | Listen -5, Spot -5
- AC 14 (FF 14, Touch 10)
- hp 31 (Disabled 0/Dying —/Injury –)
- Saves: Fort +0, Ref +0, Will -5
- Immunity: Critical hits (Ex), Immunity: Mind-Affecting Attacks (Ex), Immunity: Poison (Ex), Immunity: Sleep Effects (Ex), Immunity: Paralysis (Ex), Immunity: Stun (Ex), Immunity: Disease (Ex), Immunity: Death Effects (Ex), Immunity: Nonlethal Damage (Ex), Immunity: Ability Damage (Ex), Immunity: Ability Drain (Ex), Immunity: Fatigue (Ex), Immunity: Exhaustion (Ex), Immunity: Energy Drain (Ex), Immunity: Fortitude Save-Based Attacks (Ex), Immunity: Death from Massive Damage (Ex), Immunity: Necromancy (Ex)
- Atk +2 base melee, +1 base ranged; Grapple +2;
- +2 Melee (Slam 1d6+1/crit 20/x2);
- +1 Ranged (Energy Blast 1d6/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Energy Blast (Ex)
- SQ: Racial Traits: Construct, No Natural Healing (Ex), Cannot be Raised or Resurrected,
- Abilities STR 12, DEX 10, CON –, INT –, WIS 1, CHA 1
- Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage.
- Energy Blast (Ex): A guardian robot can fire energy beams from its hands with a range increment of 30. This is a ranged touch attack that inflicts fire damage.
Zevon captures our heroes and then destroys his fortress by letting it sink into the lava. This is completely ineffective, as Zevon, the werewolves, and Thundarr’s team all escape.
The werewolves pursue Zevon to the ruins of a Museum of Natural History. There, Zevon animates a dinosaur skeleton.
This looks like a non-descript dinosaur skeleton that has come to life. It lasts for about five seconds before Thundarr’s sunsword.
- Revived Fossil (Huge) Dinosaur (Allosaurus) (CR 7, HD 10d12)
- N Huge Undead (Augmented)
- Init +0 Spd 50
- Senses Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft.; Low-light Vision (Ex); Scent (Ex); | Listen +10, Spot +11
- AC 13 (FF 13, Touch 8)
- hp 108 (Disabled 0/Dying —/Injury –)
- Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +3
- Damage Reduction (Su): 10/Adamantine, Immunity: Cold (Ex)
- Atk +12/+7 base melee, +5/+0 base ranged; Grapple +22; Face 15’x15′; Reach 15′;
- +12 Melee (Bite 2d8+7/crit 20/x2) and +7 Melee (Claw 2d10+3/crit 20/x2);
- SA: Improved Grab (Ex) , Rake (Ex) , Trample (Ex)
- Abilities STR 24, DEX 10, CON –, INT –, WIS 10, CHA 1
- Feats: Alertness, Run, Toughness.
- Skills: Jump + 15, Listen + 10, Spot + 11.
- Improved Grab (Ex): If an allosaurus hits an opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself with a bite attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity (grapple bonus +22). If it gets a hold, it can attempt to rake in the same round, and the next round it can try to swallow the opponent. Alternatively, the allosaurus has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use its jaws to hold the opponent (–20 penalty on grapple check, but allosaurus is not considered grappled). In either case, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals bite damage and allows another rake attempt.
- Rake (Ex): On any round that the allosaurus has a hold on an opponent (see Improved Grab, above), it can make two rake attacks (+12 melee) with its hind legs for 2d8+3 points of damage each. The allosaurus can also attempt to rake when it pounces on an opponent.
- Trample (Ex): As a standard action during its turn each round, the allosaurus can trample opponents at least one size category smaller than itself. This attack deals 5d8+10 points of bludgeoning damage. A trampled opponent can attempt either an attack of opportunity at a –4 penalty or a Reflex save (DC 22) for half damage.
Zevon wields a wand of scorching ray, but Thundarr is able to parry the attack, knocking the wizard unconscious. Ariel and Ookla mop up the other werewolves. They are all eventually returned to the magic spring, which restores everyone’s true form. Much to Thundarr’s surprise, the head werewolf’s true form is actually that of a wolf!
A wolf that walks about in human form.
- Medium-Size Humanoid (shapechanger)
- Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (27 hp)
- Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
- Speed: 30 ft (50 ft in wolf form)
- AC: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural)
- Attacks: Bite +5 melee
- Damage: Bite 1d6+1
- Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/5 ft
- Special Attacks: Curse of lycanthropy
- Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/silver, SR 13, alternate form, darkvision 60 ft
- Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +7
- Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 14
- Skills: Bluff +10, Disguise +9, Hide +5, Listen +10, Move Silently +5, Spot +10, Wilderness Lore +8
- Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Scent, Track, Weapon Finesse (bite)
- Alternate Form (Su): A wolfwere’s natural form is that of a wolf. It can assume two other forms. The first is a Medium-size humanoid. The second from is that of a Medium-size, wolf-humanoid hybrid. Changing forms is a standard action. In humanoid form, the wolfwere gains all the abilities of the form (for example, a wolfwere in dwarf form has dwarven racial traits). The wolfwere keeps its ability scores and can use its song of lethargy. It retains its special qualities of damage reduction and spell resistance, but cannot use its bite attack. In hybrid form, a wolfwere looks like a bipedal wolf. The wolfwere can use weapons and natural attacks, and all of its special attacks and special qualities in this form. A wolfwere remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, nor does the wolfwere revert to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell, however, reveals its natural form if it is in humanoid or hybrid form.
- Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid or giant hit by a wolfwere’s touch attack in animal or hybrid form must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy. This lycanthrophy works like traditional lycanthropy but lasts from dusk to dawn.
Want more? Subscribe to this column; follow me on Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Pinterest, Twitter, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Become an examiner and get paid to write today!