Winter can reak havoc on our delicate skin. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent this and to encourage healthy skin during the winter season. The primary role of our skin is to protect the body. The best way for our skin to do it’s job it to keep it nourished with plenty of water and Vitamin C intake as well as the use of cleansers and moisturizers that are full of Vitamin C. Our skin goes through a dramatic change of temperatures, from being outside in the extreme cold, dry air to coming inside with warm, dry temperatures. This sudden change in temperature can severely dry out our skin which in turn can cause problems….dry, flaky skin.
The most important thing to keep our skin heathy is our water intake. In the winter, water is an essential tool and inexpenive start to keeping our skin hydrated and to prevent dehydration of the epidermis. The moment that you are feeling thirsty, this is an early sign of dehydration and has probably already set in. It is recommended to have at least six 8-oz glasses of water a day or more (eight to twelve) if you are exercising frequently and perspiring. Increase your intake by one 8-oz glass a day or every other day until you have reached the maximum intake.
Regular exfoliation to rid your face and body of dry, dead skin and to help with cellular turnover is also important as well as using occlusive products. Having exfoliation treatments will give your skin a healthy glow and leave it feeling baby soft and smooth. Occlusive products will hold in the moisture and water, keeping our skin hydrated. The use of these products will prevent transepidermal water loss or TEWL, when the epidermis looses water. Occlusive products would include cream-based cleansers and moisturizers which will provide the necessary barriers we need to weather the harsh winter and prevent environmental stresses on our skin. Although we think that sunscreen should be used primarily in the summer, it is just as important to use it in the winter months. Don’t be fooled with days that are cloudy and overcast, it is still important to use sunscreen 30-minutes prior to heading out daily!
Here are some reminders to help you this winter season!
1. Keep hydrated, drink plenty of water! Keeping the skin hydrated from within will prevent your skin from becoming dehydrated, premature aging and will help with the texture of the skin. Staying hydrated during the winter months will help the skins elasticity.
2. Use moisturizing lotions, rather than creams, daily to keep the skin from being damaged and dry. Also be sure to use lotions that contain humectants, such as sorbitol and glycerin, which will absorb and retain moisture. If you would rather use oils than lotions, use one that will not clog the pores such as almond and primrose oils.
3. Drink plenty of vitamin rich liquids to help provide the body and skin with all the nutrients that it needs. Examples would be cranberry, blueberry and orange juices. Green tea is great for it’s antioxidant properties and will keep you warm.
4.Remember that taking while taking long showers is great for the pores, during the winter it strips the skin of it’s natural oils causing the skin to crack and become chapped.
5. Hands sanitizers are a great alternative to handwashing when you can’t get to soap and water, but, in the winter it is very drying to the skin because of the alcohol. If using the sanitiziers are necessary, use ones that are alcohol free to prevent cracking and drying of the hands.
6. Most importantly during the winter months continue to use sunscreen. Although the sun may be hidden more during this season, it can still cause great damage to your skin. Remember to apply 30 minutes prior to going out and remember to reapply. Keeping the hands covered and protected during the winter is important because the skin on our hands are thin. Our hands can be damaged by the sun just as the skin on our faces. Be sure to use sunscreen on hands as well. Total rejuvenating hand creme will fade sun spots and minimize fine lines while moisturizing your hands! Apply and reapply even if the hands don’t feel dry.
7. Keep lips moisturized with Lip enhance. This will keep lips moisturized and helps to smooth fine lines. It is wonderful year round product for lips!
8. A healthy diet is key to great skin! Be sure to stay away from cleaning lotions, disinfectants, and chemical that will take a negative toll on your skin.
9. The skin around our eyes is the most delicate and we need to protect it by using eye cremes or serums. Keeping the skin aournd the eyes hydrated and moisturized is important. While helping to keep the eyes hydrated and moisturized, the Total eye lift creme, Vital C eye Recovery gel and Balancing Eye Lift gel all offer added benefits of minimizing dark circles, puffy eyes, fine lines and tightening and lifting the skin around the eyes. What more could you ask for? Ask about any of the great eye cremes/gels that I offer to find the best one for you.
10. Use humidifier rather than central heating because it will add moisture to the air that will prevent your skin from becoming dry. These tips will definitely get you through these last few months of winter! Happy Faces!