How much do you know about the U.S. presidents? See if you can answer the following trivia questions! The correct answers to both sets of questions will follow at the end of this article!
Set #3 – James Polk, Zachary Taylor, Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan:
- Who was the only president to remain a bachelor?
- Name the president during the Mexican War who is best known for securing the southwest section of the U.S. from Mexico for $15 million?
- His presidential election was the first in which voting took place nationwide on the same day.
- This president encouraged the creation of the first permanent White House library.
- Under his watch, South Carolina and seven other Southern States seceded from the Union.
- This president had hoped to extend the southern boundary of the U.S. by annexing Cuba.
- Under his administration, California was admitted into the Union.
- Prior to becoming president, this president served as Speaker of the House.
- Name the president who was first the Governor of Tennessee.
- He commanded the U.S. troops in the War with Mexico prior to becoming president.
Set #4 – Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Grant, Rutherford Hayes, James Garfield:
- Name the first President whose administration was marked by major scandals.
- This president’s wife was the first First Lady to have a college degree.
- Name the president who made a speech that has been hailed as “the greatest speech of all time.”
- Who was the second U.S. president to die by assassination?
- This president was impeached and acquitted by just one vote.
- Which president was the first left-handed U.S. president?
- Due to a dispute over electoral votes, this president’s election was determined by a committee made up of equal numbers of Democrats and Republicans from the House and the Senate, along with five Supreme Court Justices.
- Which president, like his predecessor, believed that the South should be treated with respect and dignity, during the period of Reconstruction after the Civil War?
- Name the president who said, “a house divided against itself cannot stand?”
- Name the first post-Civil War president who was a graduate from West Point U.S. Military Academy.
Set #3 Answer Key:
(1. Buchanan, 2. Polk, 3. Taylor, 4. Fillmore, 5. Buchanan, 6. Pierce, 7. Fillmore, 8. Pierce, 9. Polk, 10. Taylor)
Set #4 Answer Key:
(1. Grant, 2. Hayes, 3. Lincoln, 4. Garfield, 5. A. Johnson, 6. Garfield, 7. Hayes, 8. A. Johnson, 9. Lincoln, 10. Grant)
For Presidential Trivia Set #1 and Set #2, click here!
This lesson from “PRESIDENTS, Politics and the Process,” copyright by CJHatcher & Associates
More presidential trivia to follow – Subscribe to this column!
See also CJ Hatcher’s American Government page and Local column!