How much do you know about the U.S. presidents? See if you can answer the following trivia questions! The correct answers to both sets of questions will follow at the end of this article! (See also Sets #1 and #2: Presidents George Washington through John Tyler, Sets #3 and #4: Presidents James Polk through James Garfield, Sets #5 and #6: Presidents Chester Arthur through Herbert Hoover, and Sets #7 and #8: Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt through George H.W. Bush.)
Set #9 – William Jefferson Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Hussein Obama:
- He was the first Democratic president since F.D.R. to be elected to a second term of office.
- Which president’s Congress passed several very controversial pieces of legislation, “behind closed doors,” and against public opinion – after having promised to be the most “transparent” administration in history?
- As a result of a Republican Congress “Contract with America,” this president signed the first balanced budget in decades.
- He was the first president to garner an approval rating of 90% (the highest ever attained by a U.S. president).
- Tracing this president’s paternal ancestry, he is a first-generation American.
- Which president put together the largest international coalition ever assembled to fight global terrorism?
- This president had no executive experience prior to becoming president.
- Which president was impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance (perjury and obstruction of justice)?
- Name the first president in office to hold an MBA degree.
- Tensions rose between the United States and long time ally, Israel, due to this president’s foreign policy strategy (or lack thereof).
- Following the precedents set by Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt, this president authorized the use of military tribunals.
- Beginning with the first bombing of the World Trade Center, and ending with the attack on the U.S.S. Cole, more international acts of terrorism took place during this president’s administration than during any other.
- Name the president whose administration was responsible for passing the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- This president campaigned on promises of lowering the national debt; yet in a very short time, created deficits greater than all of his predecessors combined.
- This president served in his state’s Air National Guard as a pilot during the era of the Vietnam War.
Set #9 Answer Key:
(1. Clinton, 2. Obama, 3. Clinton, 4. G.W. Bush, 5. Obama, 6. G.W. Bush, 7. Obama, 8. Clinton, 9. G.W. Bush, 10. Obama, 11. G.W. Bush, 12. Clinton, 13. Clinton, 14. Obama, 15. G.W. Bush)
This lesson from “PRESIDENTS, Politics and the Process,” copyright by CJHatcher & Associates
More trivia to follow – Subscribe to this column!