Presidents Day is a national holiday celebrated annually in the United States. The holiday is observed on the third Monday in February.
Presidents Day Closings Across America
In case you’re wondering what is open and what is closed on Presidents Day, some offices and services may or may not be open.
Federal offices are closed on Presidents Day. Post offices are closed and there is no regular mail delivery or pickup service. The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is closed in observance of the holiday. Depending on your location, some schools, banks, credit unions and libraries are closed. Garbage pickup may or may not occur. State and city offices may or may not be closed and transportation service may be impacted as well. Call ahead or visit the organization’s website for information.
Presidents Day Events Across the USA
- Free Washington’s Birthday Celebration – Visit Washington’s home and burial site for free on Presidents Day. A military demonstration is scheduled to begin at 10:15 A.M. followed by a Surprise Birthday Party with a host of characaters at 1:30.
- George Washington Birthday Celebration Parade – More than 3,500 participants take part in this mile-long parade in Old Town Alexandria. Parade begins at 1:00 P.M.
- Free Open Houses in Historic Alexandria – Free admission to 7 historical locations in Alexandra on Presidents Day.
- Mount Vernon – The annual wreath-laying ceremony takes place at Washington’s Tomb at 10:00 A.M.
- Richard Nixon Presidential Library & Museum – The Museum, located in Yorba Linda, is offering free admission from 10 – 5 P.M. on Presidents Day. And even better – the first 1,000 guests will receive a free slice of cherry pie! Visit the website or call for more information.
- Reagan Presidential Library – Located in Simi Valley, the 19th Presidents Day Celebration will be held between 10 – 3 P.M. Admission is free. Please call ahead or visit the website for further information.
- Madame Tussauds U.S. Presidents Gallery – This interactive attraction in Washington D.C. features all U.S. Presidents, in wax.
- Obama Bash Presidents Day Celebration – Stop by this Detroit location and receive a three-course meal “made before your eyes,” wine pairing and live entertainment for $25 beginning at 7:00 P.M.
- Crocker Art Museum – Stop by the museum from 10-5:00 P.M. on Presidents Day to hear the Sacremento Youth Symphony perform patriotic songs. A patriotic tour of art and patriotic activities for children will also be available.
- Presidents Day at Hugh Mercer Apothecary Shop – Dr. Mercer, a friend of George Washington, practiced medicine in Fredericksburg for 15 years. Learn about the interesting remedies used and take a stroll in the garden. Admission is half-price on Presidents Day, from 10 – 3:00 P.M.
- Presidents Day Art Workshop – It’s all about expressing light. This artistic workshop takes place in Fredericksburg from 10 – 4 P.M.
- 48th Coconut Grove Arts Festival – This South Florida fine arts outdoor festival includes entertainment, fine cuisine and of course, art.
Free Presidents Day Activities:
- Google’s Presidential Showcase – Download Google Earth and see a map of all the U.S. presidents, view their birthplaces and see a “progressions of the states that voted during each president’s election. “ You can even see the White House in 3D.
- Portraits of Presidents and First Ladies
- Presidents of the United States – This valuable resource provides a plethora of information about the U.S. Presidents. Important dates, background information, notable events, biographies and historical documents are all included.
- Free President’s Power Point Presentations – This website provides several educational Power Point presentations all about U.S. Presidents. Free clipart and templates are also available.
- Free President’s Day Activities for Kids – Check out these free coloring pages, educational games and printables for children.
- Presidents Day Sale at Bath and Body Works – In honor of Presidents Day, Buy 3 and get 3 Free in the Signature Collection.
Happy Presidents Day!