You’ve probably heard of the Race for the Cure, an event held in multiple cities each year in support of breast cancer awareness and research. The event came to be when Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, that she’d do everything she could to help end breast cancer forever. And since 1982, Komen for the Cure has been a tradition in cities throughout the U.S., including Boise. Primarily a 5K fun/fitness walk, Komen for the Cure has grown to include various events, including golf, tennis, dinners and more. This year’s Komen Race for the Cure Boise will be held on Saturday, May 7, on Parkcenter Blvd., in the Albertson’s parking lot.
Up to 75 percent of the funds raised in Boise stay in Boise. They help provide free mammograms and diagnostics, support groups, education, and medical treatment for qualified breast cancer patients who can’t afford to pay for surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation. The other 25 percent of the funds raised in each city goes toward breast cancer research. The Komen Race for the Cure also celebrates survivors and honors those who have lost their battle with breast cancer. Needless to say, the event is a worthy cause, and it brings together women of all ages, races, and walks of life.
To register for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Boise, click on this link. Those who register before March 31 will receive a free “Imagine” wrist band, imprinted with the words “Imagine life without breast cancer.” You can register as an individual, or as a team. Participants are encouraged to raise funds, in addition to entry fees, in order to increase the amount of money donated to the community and breast cancer research each year. Likewise, you, or your place of business, may donate online by clicking on this link. The goal for 2011 is to reach 17,000 participants and raise $350,000.
You can run a 5K or one mile, or walk either distance. The first runners start just after 9 a.m., and a Survivor Parade follows at 11 a.m. Other activities of the day include a kids’ area, team tailgating, and a survivor tent. Registration for the 13th annual event is $20 for team members, $25 for individuals, and $10 for youth.
American women have a 1 in 8, or 12 percent, chance of being diagnosed for breast cancer in their lifetime. Although Idaho women are in the group of states with the lowest rate of death from breast cancer, it still deserves our attention. After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in U.S. women, accounting for nearly 1 in 4 cancers diagnosed in U.S. women.
For more information on the Komen Race for the Cure Boise, click on this link.
Talk it up:
Are you planning to register for the Race for the Cure?
To receive all of the Boise Healthy Living Examiner’s articles, click on subscribe or the RSS feed button. Each week, you’ll get informative articles on Need to Know, and Good for You Food of the Week, plus seasonal features like Healthier Holiday, Broncos Challenge, and more.