Iconic Elizabeth Taylor died early today at the age of 79 from heart failure. While the Oscar-winning movie goddess starred in more than 50 movies, she also made numerous television appearances throughout the years. In memory of one of America’s most beloved actresses, here is a list of Elizabeth Taylor’s TV appearances, interesting trivia and some of her most famous quotes.
Elizabeth Taylor was born in England, but moved to the United States in 1939. She worked in Hollywood for more than fifty years, producing more than 50 movies, including Cleopatra, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and National Velvet. Along the way, Taylor was married eight times and divorced seven. The famous actress was also a huge activist and helped raise $200 million for AIDS research. She was truly an American legend and one of the biggest stars Hollywood has ever seen. Elizabeth Taylor will be missed by millions.
After her death, Elizabeth Taylor’s son, Michael Wilding released the following statement…
Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts.
Elizabeth Taylor’s TV Roles:
Although Elizabeth Taylor was one of the most widely recognized movie actresses in the world, she was also no stranger to the small screen. Taylor appeared numerous times on television, including:
- Elizabeth Taylor in London (1963)
- Around the World of Mike Todd (1968)
- Elizabeth Taylor: England’s Other Elizabeth (2000)
In addition, Elizabeth Taylor gave numerous interviews to David Frost, Phil Donahue, Larry King and Barbara Walters. She also made a cameo appearance at the wedding of Luke and Laura on General Hospital and did numerous profiles of Michael Jackson. Elizabeth Taylor provided the voice of Maggie Simpson in the episode titled Lisa’s First Word.
Elizabeth Taylor Trivia:
- Has appeared solo on the cover of PEOPLE magazine fourteen times, second only to Princess Diana
- Admitted in an interview with Barbara Walters in the late 1990s that she would still like to act but because of her medical problems, no movie company would insure her. Taylor’s medical problems included a benign brain tumor that she had removed, and a four-times broken back that caused her severe pain when walking or standing for long amounts of time.
- Queen Elizabeth II named Elizabeth Taylor and Julie Andrews “Dames” on New Year’s Eve 1999.
- Elizabeth Taylor did not attend the 75th Annual Academy Awards in 2003 because of her opposition to the Iraq war.
- In a 2007 interview with Entertainment Tonight’s Mary Hart, Taylor said she recently phoned ex-husband Eddie Fisher and spoke to him for the first time in 40 years.
- Elizabeth Taylor auctioned off her diamond-and-emerald engagement ring from Richard Burton to raise money for an AIDS charity.
- Taylor was a 2002 recipient at the Kennedy Center Honors.
- She was voted the 11th Greatest Movie Star of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
Famous Quotes by Elizabeth Taylor:
- “I have a woman’s body and a child’s emotions.
- “Big girls need big diamonds.”
- “I am a very committed wife. And I should be committed too – for being married so many times.”
- “Everything makes me nervous – except making films.”
- “I don’t pretend to be an ordinary housewife.”
- “I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I’m not afraid to look behind them.”
- “I fell off my pink cloud with a thud.”
- “I suppose when they reach a certain age some men are afraid to grow up. It seems the older the men get, the younger their new wives get.”
- “I’m a survivor – a living example of what people can go through and survive.”
- “I’ve always admitted that I’m ruled by my passions.”
Sources: IMDb, TV.com, ShareTV, allgreatquotes.com, brainyquote.com.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on subscribe and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with your favorite television stars and shows.