One of the most cooked starchy vegetables prepared as a side dish to so many meals is the potato. With all the variations of potatoes and cooking methods it can get a bit confusing.
What type of potato is right for this dinner? Do we really want to prepare them like we did last time?
Some of these questions can be answered in another article written by this author titled Potato Cooking Guide. Here we learned about the various types of potatoes and the basics on how to cook them using the various cooking methods.
Today we are going to roast potatoes. Not just any potato, but small red potatoes. Then we’ll mix them up with some garlic along with just the right concoction of herbs. This recipe will bring out a tasty yet subtle side dish to add to the meal being planned for the family.
Right now everyone in the Winona and Grenada areas of Mississippi are in luck. Spain’s Supermarket this week is having a sale that will be perfect treat for all just like these potatoes will be once they are cooked. Boston butt pork roast is being sold at 98 cents a pound, fresh fryer chicken breast are also 98 cents a pound, fresh sirloin pork chops for $1.18 a pound, a 5 pound package of fresh fryer chicken leg quarters for $2.88 a package and of course potatoes; 5 pounds of red potatoes for just $1.68 a bag.
- 2 pounds of small red potatoes
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon of fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons of fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon of fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425’.
- Scrub all the skins of the potatoes under cold water.
- Pat potatoes dry with paper towels.
- Cut the potatoes either in half or in quarters.
- Place the potatoes on a lightly sprayed square or rectangular baking dish.
- In a small bowl add all the herbs and spices together. Mix well.
- Shake the spice mixture over the top of the potatoes.
- Mix the potatoes and spices together.
- Place baking pan in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. (Do the fork test – if an inserted fork slides out the potatoes are done, if not, place them back in the oven and check them in five minute intervals.)
- Remove pan from oven. If the pan is a piece of Pyrex or Corning Ware this side dish is ready to be placed on the table. (If not, transfer the roasted herb potatoes to a serving bowl so they present themselves nicely.)
- Substitute extra virgin olive oil for the butter to reduce the cholesterol intake.
- Try a salt free seasoned salt if sodium levels need to be monitored.
- Delicious with baked, roasted or a rotisserie chicken.
- These roasted herb potatoes are great with a brisket of beef as it is with any beef or pork roast.
For e-mail alerts of new articles from the Winona Cooking Examiner, click on the subscribe button above. Included are her step-by-step, easy to follow recipes the whole family will enjoy. And be sure to check out Winona Home & Living Examiner for an array of fun, crafty and educational topics. Send an email to [email protected] if you have a topic or suggestion you would like covered. Happy reading and thank you for stopping by!
Copyright 2011 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved