As Valentine’s Day approaches many couples are trying to find ways to scrape together money for a romantic celebration. The problem is that money is in short supply, and couples must find other ways to show their love and affection other then expensive gestures. Here are 10 ideas for under $25 that will help you and your loved one kick off the holiday with out losing your shirt.
- Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the outdoors. While this can be hard when the weather does not cooperate, you can take your picnic lunch in the car and drive to a local romantic spot. One such local spot in the South Charlotte area would be Cane Creek Park located in southern Union County. There is a small entrance fee, but the view is well worth it! http://www.co.union.nc.us/QualityofLife/ParksRecreation/CaneCreekPark.aspx
- Create your own love poem. Don’t fear that your poem won’t sound like something that Shakespeare has written, but instead let your heart guide you. There is no right or wrong way to do this. You can stop by your local store and purchase a frame to place your poem in to give to your honey.
- Make a non-traditional flower arrangement. All of the $80 roses might look nice, but after a few days they will die and you’re a left with a hefty bill. Instead think creatively. Why not create a bouquet out of your sweetie’s favorite lollypops? Maybe he/she would even like to receive an arrangement created from their favorite magazine. You can easily create these arrangements with the purchase of a silk ribbon and you love’s favorite things.
- Eating out at a nice restaurant on the cheap. Want to have a nice meal with out breaking the bank? It is possible. One of the best ways to do this is to eat local and check out the BYOB places. By bringing your own bottle of wine you can easily cut your bill down.
- Have a light meal and keep it simple. Many restaurants now offer small meal plates for under $10. These tasty meals are small but offer enough that you will feel full and be able to enjoy a great meal at the same time. One great such local place is Rippington’s in Waxhaw. http://rippingtonswaxhaw.com/Dinner/index.html
- Let them relax! Why not offer your sweetheart a relaxing evening with out spending a ton? You can do this at home! Draw a bath, put relaxing music on, light some candles, and pour them a glass of their favorite beverage. Allow them time to soak up the bubbles and if possible get together in the tub and enjoy!
- Create a memory book. While this might seem overwhelming to some it does not have to be. Memory books can be anything from a small photo book filled with pictures of the two of you, or it can be a more elaborate customized scrap book. Any of these can be created for under $25. Place pictures of you and your love on trips or a favorite memory of Valentine’s past.
- Go to a show. Many couples enjoy spending time together outside of the house and what better way to do this then to see a show. Some of the best area shows are not expensive, and you can find one the fits your budget through CarolinaTix. http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/evenue/ev69/se/Main.d2w/report?linkID=ncb
- Just dance! Do you enjoy dancing and getting out on the town? Charlotte is the perfect place for that. There are many clubs available to fill any taste and many have small cover charges. If you are a little shy and want to dance with out a preying eye, why not turn on your favorite CD and dance together in house?
- The fastest way to heart is through the stomach. Preparing your honey’s favorite meal does not have to be a disaster. You can keep it simple and on the cheap with the help of some grocery store short cuts as well as guidance from your store’s butcher. They are more then willing to give you free advice as well as guidance in picking out the best cut of meat or fish in your quest for a great meal.
While all of these suggestions are aimed at keeping costs down, the really great part is that they are local. Supporting the local economy as well as keeping your cost down is a win-win situation. Enjoy this Valentine’s Day with out going broke!