Scholastic Storybook Treasures celebrates Black history month with two special DVD releases: Duke Ellington and More Stories and the Lincoln-Douglas: An American Friendship.
Duke Ellington and More Stories to Celebrate Great Figures in African American History is an historic and musical collection of four stories lovingly adapted for the small screen from best-selling picture books. Each features narration by Forest Whitaker, Phylicia Rashad, Samuel L. Jackson and Billy Dee Williams, bonus features on the DVD include Read Along captioning and discussion questions.
Stories featured include:
- Duke Ellington (based on the story by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Bran Pinkney, narrated by Forest Whitaker). A most fitting tribute to a great man who proudly celebrated the history of African-Americans, from slavery to civil rights struggles.
- Ellington Was Not a Street (based on the story by Ntozake Shange, illustrated by Kadir Nelson, narrated by Phylicia Rashad). A poetic tribute about growing up amidst many of the great figures in African American History.
- Ella Fitzgerald: The Tale of Vocal Virtuosa (based on the story Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Brian Pinkney, narrated by Billy Dee Williams). The dramatic story of how Ella got her sound, on the way to a most remarkable and inspiring career.
- John Henry (based on the story by Julius Lester, illustrated by Brian Pinkney, narrated by Samuel L. Jackson). Based on the famous African-American folk ballad, this story tells of the legendary contest between a spirited man with a hammer and a steam drill.
Timed to release for the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, Black History Month, and President’s Day as well, Lincoln and Douglass: An American Friendship…and More Stores to Celebrate U.S. History features four animated stories with celebrity narration by James Earl Jones, Jeff Brooks, and Danny Glover and includes an interview with acclaimed author Nikki Giovanni. Additional extras include Read Along captioning and discussion questions.
Stories featured include:
- The Pilgrims Of Plimoth (adapted from the story written and illustrated by Marcia Sewall). When the Pilgrims set out for America they brought with them a dream for the future. With hard work they made that dream come true.
- John, Paul, George, & Ben (adapted from the story written and illustrated by Lane Smith, narrated by James Earl Jones). A humorous and factual history of five lads who grew up to become the Founding Fathers of our nation.
- The Journey of The One & Only Declaration of Independence (adapted from the story by Judith St. George, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand, narrated by Jeff Brooks). This witty, gritty and factual story tells all about the document that has defined American freedom for more than two centuries.
- Lincoln and Douglass: An American Friendship (adapted from the story by Nikki Giovanni, illustrated by Bryan Collier, narrated by Danny Glover) The story of an unusual, historic friendship between two great American leaders – Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass.