Do you feel that you are not getting enough done with your day as a single parent? Do you come home at the end of the day, exhausted, with the daunting task of still having to do more for your family? Today’s article may help you out a bit.
The simple truth is, every human gets exactly the same amount of time allotted to him/her during the day. We each get 24 hours on a 7-day scale. Time travel and wizardry aside, we are each challenged to find the best use of the 24 hours-worth of resources that we can. One would think that there is some mathematical computation for how to squeeze the life out of each hour, while still having time to do what you love to do. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Many experts on time management offer practical ways to manage your hours through prioritization and scheduling so that you can get what is most important to you done first. Yet, one of the simplest ideas is very rarely touted. Possibly because it requires a small bit of effort on your part. Possibly because it may sound strange to do in the beginning. Whatever the reason, the Power Hour is a hidden gem.
Austin Single parents: consider the Power Hour. Wake up one hour earlier in the morning in order to get more done in your home.
Yes, it sounds ludicrous. Single parents already have enough hardships with trying to get things done without trying to remove an hour of sleep from the schedule. But, consider the thought for a moment. By rising one hour earlier, prior to your children getting up, you are allowing yourself an additional 7 hours per week of “self-time.” Use this time however you like. Take a longer shower. Make a longer prayer. Read a couple of chapters in your favorite book. Watch something on TV other than Nick Jr. Take time to do yoga or workout. This is your time.
For those of you who are smiling right now at this secret bit of info, start soon. There are many benefits of implementing the Power Hour, including:
- Quiet time before jumping into your day. Just like it’s a good idea to let your car heat up before speeding off to work, or letting the shower heat up before jumping in on a cold day, it’s a good idea to let your mind and body “warm up” before starting the day. You can have a cup of coffee and just look out of the window before your tasks ahead. However you spell quiet time, you will definitely enjoy it during your Power Hour.
- Solitude, relaxation, or meditation prior to starting your day. Single parents need alone time. You spend the majority of the day catering to the needs of everyone else, be it your children or your boss. Take time during your Power Hour to cater to yourself. Meditate or pray. Use the time to find gratitude for your life’s blessings. If you’re able to watch the sunrise, even better. You’ll see your life in a new way, and positivity may catch on to people around you!
- A chance to eat breakfast. Breakfast is not overrated. Studies have shown that those who eat breakfast are more alert and healthier people in general. Using your Power Hour to create a healthy breakfast for you and the kids is a great way to start the day.
- Opportunity to add a workout to your schedule. If you choose to use your Power Hour to add a workout into your daily routine, you’ll reap all of the benefits that are included. An additional benefit of working out in the morning is that you’ll feel motivated to continue on a healthy pattern throughout the day so that you don’t “mess up” what you’ve started. A workout also helps to add energy to your body by boosting your metabolism.
- A moment to bask in the loveliness of a clean home. If you are an “organization junky” (read: Neat Freak), take time to straighten up the place and walk around in the neatness that is your home prior to getting ready for the day. When you come home to a clean house in the evening, you’ll thank your Power Hour.
There are many ways to work the Power Hour into your morning. For more information, check out Zen Habits’ How-to on the subject. Remember, Austin is one of the healthiest cities in the country. Single parents should not be left out of the loop. We can all enjoy the benefits of living in such a great place. Try the Power Hour and see what it does for you!
Occasionally I will try to share Single Parent Secrets with you in order to help make your life a bit easier. If you have any Secrets of your own and would like to share them with the Single Parenting Community, feel free to contact me. Also, if you enjoyed this article, you can subscribe to this channel and receive updates on new articles from the Austin Single Moms Examiner. Feel free to leave comments or questions below, or email me at [email protected] I’d love to hear from you!