Jesus corrected the Pharisees and the Scribes
(Luke 11:33-52, Luke 12:1)
By: Pastor Adrienne Rowe
It’s time out! We are sitting in a dark church. The people are dying; they need to see the light!
Pharisees: Political group that supported low and middle class. Very critical as they lived by the ‘law.’ Leaders in the church.
Scribes: Interpreters. Wrote the ‘law.’ Attorneys of today.
The following are 6 things that could cause your light (walk with Christ – witness) to go out:
1. Church and natural leadership (vs. 36): Taking your leaders to lunch to check them. Making people think that your light is on when it isn’t. Jesus sees right through us, we don’t have to try and justify anything. God, the One who made us on the outside also made our insides.
2. Neglect justice and don’t have God’s Love (vs. 42): Your love walk is messed up. Treating God’s people any kind of way and lying on God. Robbing God of His tithes and offerings. Fearing man more then you fear God.
3. Seeking Self-Centered Positions (vs. 43): We can’t get offended if someone is asked to sit at the head of the table and we are asked to do the same. Desiring to be recognized with sheer flattery is like one walking over an unmarked grave that other people walk over. Your outside looks good but your inside is like rotting maggots: no solution.
4. The Legalist – expert of the law (vs. 45): Becoming so arrogant in who you are that you forget who Jesus is. Breaking people down but not lifting a finger to help them. It doesn’t matter how many degrees you have, what is God saying? What you do should be backed up with Scripture.
5. The prophet is the Finger of Direction (vs. 47): You don’t want to listen or obey what the prophet has said. Apostle – Breaks up, Builds up and Sets the foundation and you don’t want to change – get that sin out of your life because God wants to take you somewhere. We ignore the Word and justify our actions.
6. You make the People Think that you Really Know the Bible and Know What God is Saying (vs. 52): Half-quoting Scriptures. After church prophe-lying. Bad-mouthing the church. Talking about the Pastor, the Leaders. Where is your light?
The whole entire world rotates according to God’s timing and not ours; we have to stay in God’s timing. God WILL do it if you let your light shine. God will blind the leader to your gift if you have the nerve to get mad because God is not elevating you fast enough. Get your heart right! God is not going to allow anyone to hurt His sheep!
GOD HAS AN ANSWER (Luke 12:1):
People are looking for the light. They are looking to hear what God is saying:
1. Be on your guard.
2. What’s hidden will be proclaimed on the rooftops.
3. Fear the One who can throw you in hell. Don’t fear man.
4. Turn your light on and do what God has called you to do.
5. Don’t look for no glory or accolades. God will reward you.
6. Do the work and fear, God.