We all need it to be healthy, functional and alert throughout the day. By taking this short quiz, you can brush-up on some important facts about sleep and see how much you actually know about snoozing. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) gives the following answers to the questions below.
The answer key is at the bottom of the page. Have fun!
1. What physiological changes occur in the brain during sleep?
A. blood flow increases B. blood flow decreases C. brain consumes more oxygen D .a and c
2. The rapid eye movement (REM) sleep stage is when dreaming occurs. How often does REM happen during the night?
A. 4 or 5 times B. 3 times C. 2 times D. 1 time
3. To function well, adults should average how much sleep a night?
A. 6 hours B. 7 hours C. 7-1/2 hours D. 8 hours
4. How many Americans suffer from undiagnosed sleep disorders?
A.10 million B. 40 million C.125 million D. 200 million
5. A sleepless night hinders your ability to drive in morning rush-hour traffic to the same extent as which of these?
A. Having one alcoholic drink B. having two alcoholic drinks C. being intoxicated D.none of the above
6. Minor sleep deprivation can affect concentration, mood and what else?
A. Allergic response B. joint problems C. hearing acuity D. nasal congestion
7. Sleepwalking tends to run in families. At what ages does it occur most often?
A. 3 to 5 B. 6 to 12 C. teen years D. adult years
1) Correct answer is D – A & C: Sleep is necessary for your nervous system to work properly,
2) Correct answer is A – 4 or 5 times: REM sleep occurs every 1-1/2 hours, while you sleep. During such sleep, the eyes move rapidly under the closed lids.
3) Correct answer is C – 71/2 hours: Infants, by contrast, need about 16 hours of sleep.
4) Correct answer is B – 40 million: Most people don’t know what causes their disturbed sleep cycles. Among the common causes are restless-leg syndrome, sleep apnea, narcolepsy and insomnia.
5) Correct answer is C – Being intoxicated: Lack of sleep affects coordination as much as alcohol.
6) Correct answer is B – joint problems: People who don’t get enough sleep also report more stomach problems and headaches.
7) Correct answer is B – 6 to 12: Psychological factors, fatigue or sleep loss are thought to trigger sleepwalking. Adult sleepwalkers should avoid alcohol and other central-nervous-system depressants before bedtime.