Support is a vital to any endeavor and dieting is certainly no exception. In fact, support for dieters maybe among some of the most utilized support groups available. Weight Watchers has numerous members, but if you ask many of them why they stay with the program, the answer almost always involves the level of support they receive. It’s a little easier to hold yourself accountable when you know that weigh-in and meeting are coming around each week. There are other local programs people can utilize as well, such as Taking Off Pounds Sensibly (otherwise known as TOPS). Again these programs use weekly gatherings and weigh-ins to help you through each phase of your diet.
While low-carbers can certainly join these groups, sometimes we are more comfortable with groups that are specifically catered to our lifestyles. If you are surrounded by low-fat dieters, how can you get the answers you need for a high fat diet? (You may remember me talking about the importance of diet-specific support in a previous article.) Sadly, there is a shortage of local low-carb support groups in most areas, but all is not lost. The next best thing is available, free and easy to use – online forums. Granted you have to deal with the occasional troll, or maybe a crabby member hiding behind a nickname, but for the most part you’ll find open arms and lots of encouragement for your chosen low-carb plan.
When I started this lifestyle 10 years ago, I was overwhelmed and confused. I had so much to learn and I needed guidance as I figured it all out. Online forums were my saving grace and probably the only thing that kept me from throwing in the towel when the going got tough. Even those who have been living low-carb for years can benefit from the camaraderie of other low-carb friends.
So where do you find all this great support? I’m glad you asked. Below is a list of my favorite forums:
- LowCarbSite.com is a nice sized group with a friendly attitude and lots of helpful advice. They are big enough to be busy, but not so big you feel lost in the crowd.
- Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb forum is a discussion board owned by my friend and popular low-carb advocate Jimmy Moore. This is another nice size group with lots of activity and information.
- Cooking TLC is run by my friend Karen Rysavy and is best described as a family. This small, close knit group of low-carbers have a great time while encouraging and helping each other. You really feel at home there.
- Low Carb Friends is probably the largest low-carb forum online. Active doesn’t begin to describe this board and you’ll definitely meet people from all walks of life. If you like big crowds and lots of action, this is likely the place for you.
If you’re a Facebook addict, you can also find support there. Many low-carb websites have fan pages or groups where people share ideas, recipes and more. Below are a few I frequent:
- Healthy Low-Carb Living is growing daily and there are lots of great discussions, recipes and links being shared.
- Carbohydrates Can Kill is run by Dr. Robert Su, a physician with personal experience in the low-carb lifestyle. This is a pretty busy group and you’ll always find some interesting information here.
- Low Carb is a group created to share anything related to the low-carb lifestyle.
If you are struggling or feeling discouraged, please consider joining us at one or more of these fantastic support groups. If you are doing great and want to shout your success from the rooftops, we’d all love to hear that too.