On January 8, 2011 a tragic shooting near Tucson, Arizona occurred at a political town meeting held by United States Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Twenty people were shot, six of them fatally including a nine year old girl and a federal judge. This was a senseless massacre by a mad man.
This should be a time for prayers and mourning for the victims and families. Rather what we are getting are attacks on conservatives, the Tea Party, guns, Fox News, talk radio and even Sarah Palin. Even a sheriff (Pima County, Ariz., Sheriff Clarence Dupnik) has taken the opportunity show his true colors and attack conservatives.
These people are shameless opportunists. The left crave tragedies like this so they can advance their agenda. Let’s look at a few examples:
- Giffords’ Democratic colleague, Arizona Congressman Raul Grijalva, told Mother Jones magazine within hours after the rampage that the “political tone and tenor” created by Palin and the tea party movement had set the stage for the shooting. Grijalva said Palin’s “apparatus” had put Giffords’ and his own life at risk.
- Sheriff Clarence Dupnik tried to link the shooting to conservatives, the Tea Party and talk radio. He said “I think the vitriolic rhetoric that we hear day in and day out from people in the radio business and some people in the TV business and what (we) see on TV and how our youngsters are being raised, that this has not become the nice United States of America that most of us grew up in. And I think it’s time that we do the soul-searching,” He made several other statements attacking the right. This is a total disgrace from one whose job is to enforce the law, not make political commentary.
- No surprise that the Democratic Party rag New York Times joined in the attacks on conservatives in their lead story headlined “Bloodshed Puts New Focus on Vitriol in Politics.” They embraced the ranting’s of Sherriff Dupnik and insinuated that conservative criticism of President Barack Obama and his policies may have been at the root of this weekend’s violence, noting that ” it was hard to separate what had happened from the heated nature of the debate that has swirled around Mr. Obama and Democratic policies of the past two years.”
- Hilary Clinton danced around the subject by saying “We have extremists in my country”. Extremists as defined by the left are always right winged.
- There are many other examples of Democrats agreeing with the Sheriff’s attacks on conservatives.
Thankfully so far Senator Manchin has stayed out of the blame game and just sent out his condolences to the families of the victims. Even Senator Rockefeller has stayed out of the fray saying only that “the shooting went against everything America stands for.” Let’s hope he resists the temptation to join his colleagues in attacking the right.
The irony of all of this is that this kid was much more of a left winger than a right winger. Here’s why:
- It was reported that among his favorite books were “The Communist Manifesto” by Karl Marx and Adolf Hitler’s “Mein Kampf,” both left wing publications.
- A classmate (Catie Parker) of Laughner describes him as “left wing” and a “pot head” in a series of posts on Twitter.
- Laughner’s MySpace featured a video shows a masked man burning the American flag.
- Congresswoman Giffords was a moderate Democrat who used to be a Republican. She even voted against Pelosi as minority leader.
Rather than attacking the right maybe we should look how this kid made it through the school system and was not identified as someone who needs help. What about his parents? Where have they been?
A quick review of this kid’s writings indicates someone who is deeply disturbed and may be a paranoid schizophrenic. In the end the kid is responsible for these murders, not Sarah Palin or the Tea Party.