Last week on RAW, Shawn Michaels was revealed as the first name to be a part of WW Hall of Fame Class of 2011. Michaels will be inducted with other yet-to-be-announced legends at Phillips Arena in Atlanta,GA , the night before Wrestlemania 27. The Hall of Fame ceremony is always a special event during Wrestlemania week, and is always a heart-warming event for the veterans of the ring and longtime wrestling fans. So who should be inducted in the HOF who has yet to receive the honor?
Legion of Doom/Road Warriors : Animal and the late great Hawk conqured the WWF, NWA, and AWA during the 80’s wrestling boom, as the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom. They captured every big Tag Team title there was to won, and became respected stars in Japan. Their smash-mouth style andm Mad Max inspired-look was ripped off by many. In the 90s they made another strong run in both WCW and WWE during the Monday Night Wars, and eventually faded off but are arguably considered to be the best tag teams in pro wrestlling history. There has been rumor mill churning out news about another formiddable team, The Fabulous Freebirds getting inducted this year but L.O.D is more than deserving of being honored in the WWE Hall of Fame.
- The Look: The make-up, leather biker jackets, and spiked shoulder pads worn by Animal and Hawk made them immediately stand out and separated them from the rest of the pack of glossy pastel-wearing muslce dudes of their time. Demolition became WWE Tag Team Champions with a look many believe was a rip off on LOD who at the time were not in WWE, so when the two teams finally ment in a feud it made sense that LOD came out on top.
How many wrestlers who felt like they needed an edge throw on a leather jack or rough looking gear? All those wrestlers are making a move that was first made by the hard-hitting Chicagoans, Hawk and Animal.
- Championships: This one team captured the NWA, AWA, WCW, and WWE Tag Team Championships. Besides the Duddley Boys, can you name a team that has so much range of success in pro wrestling?
- Scaffold Match at Starrcade 1986: Though the Road Warriors had hundreds of entertaining matches without the need of extra gimmicks or stipulations, but their infamous Sacffold Match at NWA’s Starrcade ’86 against another Hall of Fame worthy team, the Midnight Express. In the exceptional Road Warriors retrospective DVD, Animal revealed that Hawk had broken his leg a few days prior to the match during a tour and still performed the risky match. The match saw Road Warriors win the match knocking the Express off a scaffold above the match and legendary Express manager Jim Cornette injuring both his legs when he fell from the scaffold’s edge. This match was extreme in way that the Hell in the Cell match would become in the late 90’s and was a very rare match that few teams were wiling to do.
- Paul Ellering: The two barking and bodyslamming brutes that were Road Warriors were managed both in and out of the ring by former wrestler and ubder-intelligent Paul Ellering. Ellering used his exceptionally vocabulary to add 5$ dollar woods to the team’s promos in the 80’s. He is easily one of the most underrated managers in Pro Wrestling
- Doomsday Device: There is not more impressive double team in Pro Wrestling. Watching Hawk lift an opponent on his shoulders and seeing Hawk fly off the top rope with a flying clothesline, sending the opponent flipping to the mat was always spectacular
Do YOU think the Road Warriors/Legion of Doom should be inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame? Let us know below in the comment box.
Check out the other stories from the Pro Wrestling Examiner below.
Read these other articles in the “Wrestling Stars who should be in the WWE Hall of Fame” series
- Arn Anderson
- Lex Luger