Life can get busy and unexpected things can arise that can make life pretty hectic. More often than not, exercise gets moved down on the priority list. However, exercise is not only proven to be a great stress reliever, but it can also help to make you look, feel, and think more positively, and give you a better outlook when dealing with the rest of life’s hassles.
Being too busy to work out tends to be more perceived than reality. It can actually be a lot easier than you may think to fit fitness into your day. Get creative and give one of these tips a try!
- Wake up a little early – Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier and do a quick circuit at home. Choose 5 body weight exercises and do them right in your living room. See my at home exercise article for a few exercise suggestions. Research shows that people who exercise in the morning are more likely to stick with it.
- Walk the dog – Going for a walk with your dog will not only get you moving, but will keep you motivated and in a routine. Having a daily routine will make you more accountable (plus it will keep your pup healthy, happy, and hopefully tired).
- Work hard – Don’t just go through the motions when it comes to outdoor chores and housework. Move as quickly as possible to get your heart rate up. Add in some exercises between chores or if you get to the washer and dryer and you have 1 minute left before it’s done, try to do something for that entire minute (i.e. push ups, squats, jumping jacks, etc).
- Schedule in your work outs – make your work outs a part of your daily schedule. Treat your exercise just like any other appointment you make. A promise to yourself to work out is important and should not be cancelled.
- Use your lunchtime productively – You don’t really need an hour to eat lunch! Use 30 minutes at lunch to get in a work out either at a local gym or start a walking group with coworkers to squeeze in a work out during the day. A workout, a quick shower, and a quick healthy meal with help boost your energy to get through the afternoon.
- Make exercise convenient for you – Don’t sign up for a gym membership that is out of the way or too far to get to. Think about choosing a place that is close to either home or work, that way you can always squeeze in a work out without having to plan it around your whole day. Plus, if it is close, then you can walk, jog, or ride your bike there to get in even more exercise during your travel time.
Don’t think of exercise as a chore that you can slide down on your list and do another day. Just 30 minutes of exercise a day will help you tremendously in all aspects of your life. So invest in yourself and get moving!