The fashion forecast for 2011 has hit: we’re going BOLD and beautiful. Oversized, loud jewelry is definitely “in” this spring. If anything can be said, it’s that there isn’t anything soft-spoken whatsoever about the jewelry trends THIS season! Here’s what’s hot:
1. Vintage jewelry is among the top favs currently for the fashionistas. Skeleton key necklaces (see previous article), pearls, ribbons, and brass jewelry are alluring for almost everyone. Cameos haven’t been as mainstream but they could still show up on the fashion radar.
2. Motif jewelry seems to have exploded in popularity as of late. Symbols of power such as lions, snakes, and owls have been grabbing the most attention. The focus has shifted somewhat to animal prints, butterflies, and sea creatures. Additionally, some motifs have taken an Egyptian themed turn…there is an exquisite scarab motif available through Cartier for *gasp* $1,700.00. (We can dream now, can’t we?) Regardless, motifs are very uniquely created pieces of art- you can even get your own custom designed, one-of-a-kind motif through Motif Jewelry.
3. Earthy trends. As we’re tending to become more environmentally aware and “green” savvy, earthy trends seem to resonate with the movement. Popular colors are cherry reddish-pink, brown, orange, and red. Earthy trends mimic their origins of nature and are influenced by ideas of the exotic. Earthy trends evoke the thrill of escaping to a faraway island. (Wouldn’t that be the ultimate relaxation- think Tahiti!) This style combines with silver chains and accents, creating an ultra-modern yet enlightened persona of the piece.
4. Beautiful carved lockets have been a staple in the curricula of the fashion world for ages- but we expect lockets to be more dominant than usual this year. Whimsical lockets make timeless pieces of jewelry and can be integrated in your wardrobe even after the seasonal style shift.
5. Jewelry featuring big chunky stones can make a loud statement, especially in the hot colors of the season. Oscar de la Renta has an exquisite line especially for spring. They can include genuine gemstones or their faux counterparts. By the way, you can find organic jewelry with big stones at the Refinery.
6. Gold bands are making a subtle statement this spring and they ultimately compliment almost any other jewelry ensemble of your choosing. They give a sophisticated and clean look to other jewels without downplaying the other articles.
7. Cuff bracelets have been with us for several seasons. They’re so versatile they can be combined with anything from your wardrobe, from cocktail dresses to business attire. Cuff bracelets can be gold, silver, or more recently- rose gold. (Silver has become more dominant within the last few seasons because of sky-rocketing gold prices.) Cuff bracelets can be simple, or ornately decorated with gems. There is a multitude of affordable cheap cuff bracelets listed on Overstock that float around the price range of $15.99.
8. Chandelier/drop earrings are very attractive. This spring, they’re going to tend to sparkle with rhinestones, cubic zirconia, and other glittery materials.
9. Big chunky rings have been on the hot list for a while, but some of the above-mention styles will be molding together with the big chunky rings this season. A fabulous motif owl ring would make a great conversation piece!
10. Layered chains can bring some zing to any outfit. For business attire, use dainty, multi-layered chains to create an elegant, sophisticated look. Going out for a night on the town? Add chunky, multi-layer chains to create a bolder impression.
Not surprisingly, 2011 is going to be a fun, colorful season for those of us in the fashion world. This spring is going to be lively, outspoken, and anything goes. As always, we’ll be keeping trendy ’til next season!