Bringing a dog into your family is a huge decision and with the amount of breeds that are available it can be extremely difficult to pick the best one who will fit your lifestyle. If you have a family with children it is especially important to make sure you pick the right dog. Each dog has their own temperament but each breed has a general guideline. Many dogs can be amazing in a family setting with children ranging from very young to older, but these 10 breeds are specified as the best.
1. Golden Retrievers- Loyal, friendly, and protective of it’s family when in danger, these dogs are the “All American Breed”. They make an amazing companion for everyone in the family.
2. Labrador Retrievers- Next to the Golden, this retriever makes an amazing family companion. With it’s laid-back attitude, friendliness to all people and other animals, and its ability to adjust to any type of home, this is often one of the most sought out breeds for families.
3. Pug- Many “toy” breeds are less than affectionate. However, pugs love to cuddle and be with their people! They are extremely friendly and don’t get nervous around different people. Plus, they are very low maintenance and don’t need a lot of grooming!
4. Irish Setter- For a more active family lifestyle, the Irish Setter is ideal. Originally used for hunting, they are now bred as family companions. They love new people, are affectionate, highly intelligent and very active.
5. Beagle- With proper training and a family that is willing to spend time with it, the beagle can make an awesome family pet. They will need a somewhat active family as they love to go for walks and use their beagle nose! For children and a family that love to play, this is definitely the dog for you!
6. Australian Shepherd- Loyal, caring, smart, affectionate, and easy to train, the Australian Shepherd is an awesome choice for an active family as they are highly active and rarely sit still. Give them the exercise they need and they will be more than happy to cuddle up with you by the fireplace at the end of the day!
7. Basset Hound- Although very stubborn, these dogs are calm around children by nature, active, highly intelligent, and rarely nervous or aggressive. Plus, their droopy faces create a soft spot in almost everyone’s heart!
8. Bichon Frise- It’s name literally means “curly white lap dog” in French. They are a happy-go-lucky ball of white fur. Bichon Frise are obedient, cheerful, playful, faithful, sensitive, and affectionate. They get along well with children and other pets within the home.
9. Pit Bull Terrier- Believe it or not, before these dogs were bred for fighting, they were bred as compassionate family pets. It is obvious that even after being used to fight other dogs, once they are taken out of that lifestyle they immediately recover to being loving towards all humans and all other dogs. This makes them an amazing companion. They love all people and just want to be loved as well.
10. Bull Dog- An extremely loyal dog, the Bull Dog makes an amazing companion. They are pretty low maintenance as they don’t require much exercise but it is important to make sure they don’t become obese. They snore and snort and make an awesome dog for young children who will definitely get a laugh out of their cute scrunched up faces.
Dog owners: feel free to share what kind of dog(s) you own and how they make amazing family pets.
To find adoptable dogs in your area visit: http://www.petfinder.com.