Breastfeeding is a hot topic not only in this country but definitely in San Francisco. In San Francisco, you don’t hear anyone asking if you will breastfeed, but instead the questions are more around how long will you breastfeed. What no one seems to talk about is just how difficult and lonely breastfeeding can be.
Below is a list of the top ten tips for a happy and successful breastfeeding journey.
- Find a lactation consultant and go as often as you continue to have questions or concerns.
- Go to a breastfeeding circle (there are ones at Kaiser and Natural Resoures http://store.naturalresources-sf.com/classes)
- Ask for support from your friends, husbands, relatives
- Take some mental time for yourself – this is hard to squeeze in when you’re feeding every 30-45 minutes, but try to do it even if it’s just taking a walk around the block.
- Talk to other moms about their experience. This will help you understand that you’re not alone, that other moms find it difficult too.
- Learn to breastfeed in public. This is truly freeing, if you can learn to do it in public you can finally get out of the house.
- When you have friends or family around and you have to feed, do what feels best for you – stay in the room and feed your baby, or go to another room – neither is wrong or right.
- Take it day by day – try not to set lofty goals for how long you will breastfed just be proud that you made it this far, even if that’s one day.
- Consider wearing something sexy for pretty or five minutes a week – I swear it will make you feel better.
- If you go back to work, and you continue to breastfeed, and you have the pleasure of a nursing lounge at work, enjoy it and take advantage of your time there by asking more experienced moms all those questions that are nagging you every day – women love to talk about their kids and their experiences, all you have to do is ask.
If you enjoyed this article, please click on the “subscribe” button at the top of the page right by my name.