For part 2 of this article, click here.
In the final installment of this article, we’ll help you choose your professions based on the information we have.
With all the information I have given, if you are planning on playing the game mostly by yourself and this is your first toon, the suggestion would be choose Mining and Herbalism, regardless of what class and/or race you play. The game didn’t The reasons are simple:
- There is no actual cost associated with leveling these professions. A mining pick is less than 1 silver, and the only thing you ever have to spend. When you start with no money, it’s good to have professions that don’t cost you anything to use.
- You will make money off these professions. People need the ore and herbs you will collect. You can put them on the Auction House and they will be an instant source of very, very good income for you.
- There is no real additional time involved with leveling these professions. Herbs and minerals are found in the standard leveling process. Almost every zone has minerals and herbs that you will stumble across while leveling. Most professions require you to take time away from actually leveling to level the profession.
- You are not stuck with your professions. A lot of people will use certain professions while leveling, and in the endgame swap to others later that better compliment their class.
- Last, but not least: These professions help you level your toon! A recent change to the game has made it so you actually get a reasonable amount of XP from picking herbs and mining minerals, which just helps you level up even faster.
If you are leveling with someone else, we recommend one person taking mining (if one person might become a tank later, this is a great profession for them due to the increased stamina) and the other take herbalism (non-healing casters will most benefit from having a small heal with the haste bonus). For a second profession, one of them should be a skinner, as reasons 1-3 still apply for skinners. For a second profession for the other, refer to these guidelines:
- If paired with herbalism, I would first consider alchemy (easily leveled, good endgame money maker), and then inscription.
- If paired with mining, I would first consider jewelcrafting, then blacksmithing if a plate class, or possibly engineering.
- Clothies might consider tailoring, regardless of their gathering profession as cloth can be collected by everyone off humanoid mobs.
- Enchanting could be used by anyone, paired with anything if you do not like the other recommendations.
- As leatherworking best pairs with skinning, I do not recommend it for leveling.
In the end, you have to choose the professions that make you happiest – these are just the suggestions put forth to make your life a little easier.
Until next time, keep playing!