Bexley Blended Families Examiner
By: Douglas Huff
We have all been guilty of coming home to place our lose change, keys, phones and wallets on the proverbial catch all counter, junk drawer or in some bottomless basket. Which is okay, if no one moves the basket or takes the keys.
However, someone always seem to moves your cheese, wallet and those blasted car keys. Eventually, you find yourself asking anyone who will listen, “Did you see my keys anywhere?” or “Where my wallet!”
Then, like clock work your brothers, sisters or parents begin to shout out, “Have you seen my hair brushes, any matching socks, the dog leash, flash light, my Ipod, television remote, batteries, backpack and or even the toothpicks!”
Does it seem like you have lost your mind? Well, you have due to underlying emotional stress which can cause us all to forget what we just said or did with our stuff!
Naturally, you ask “Who took my stuff?” The feel good answer is, “They Did!” The right answer is, “The whole familiy did and they do it everyday!” Sound familiar?
Many blended families struggle with the daily search mission in hopes to secure some sanity by finding their stuff!
Have you noticed while frantically searching around the house; everyone else chimes in with, “Well, where did you last leave it?” or “Just retrace your steps; you will find it!” and it seems we never do!
Does this broken record lost and found scene ring any bells? Don’t be blue…
Here’s the good news. You may not be ADD, a hoarder, forgetful or even senile; our blended familiy housholds are just plain disorganized with too much misplaced, cotton-picking stuff!
We all need to take a serious stance with our stuff as stuff we want or stuff we need.
The stuff we want, are things like another new car, more clothes, more electronics, more homes, more, more, more!
The stuff we need is love, humility, forgivness, happiness, some clothes, some food, a shelter, shampoo, soap, toothbrush, toilet paper, and a broom.
Our family at one time just called it, “Huff-Stuff!”
In short, we should learn that stuffing more stuff in our lives only takes away from enjoying quality family time.
So, it’s time for the family to gain back their positive peace of mind!
Just follow these tried and true organizational do’s and do remember to do them everyday!
- Do blame yourself for the mess and leave out everyone else! Take ownership, action & others will follow.
- Do a household storage & use review. Take measurments of unused storage space.
- Do optimize all rooms for daily use by installing inexpensive coat hooks, extra closet rods, and shelving as needed.
- Do establish fixed locations for for all household daily use items! Line everyone up and show them where everything is and where it goes! No excuses!
- Do establish long, short term storage plans by the season.
- Do make three piles of stuff: Sell, Give, or Trash it! Then do it!
- Do re-purpose an old cabinent or piece of furniture to make better use of cluttered space!
- Do invest in inexpensive closet, storage systems and space bags from your profitable online or garage sales.
Lastly, please keep doing the do’s daily and you will never ask again, “Who moved my Cheese, Wallet and Keys!”